Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Future Uncertainty

littleBunny2375 April 18th, 2022

Hi,

I wanted to share this with you because perspective is important

I'm currently seeking to further therapy to help me deal better with my cronic PTSD. Which has come close to ruin my life and now I finally found the motivation and courage to seek help. So that's good.

Also, I was thinking, once I feel better and I can operate in the world in a more adequate manner I'd like to get properly educated. I'd like to study psychology, I field that is of interest and that would allow me to effectively help people.

As I was looking into the students programs, and when to get enrolled and all that it dawned on me, this Massive uncertainty. I live in Europe, I have access to enough money to pay for my studies and stay fed, but then this world is collapsing. So I don't know if it makes sense to enroll in a four-year program to study psychology when there's more pressing matters that I have close to no ability to tackle, like the climate chaos, draughts, floods, the price of everything rising to the ceiling, from food to electricity to building materials... Everything. And I assume things will just get worse, more expensive, less available. The refugee crisis. Climate chaos induced massive migrations, world hunger on the rise, people dyng of starvation by the millions... major wars...

And I doubt... I hesitate. But after all, even with total collapse, the knowledge I will acquire will be useful, right?

Am I too narrow minded?

Do you struggle with similar fears?

VioletSpringGlade April 29th, 2022

@littleBunny2375

Hi Bunny, I love this topic! I had similar concerns, but I was so completely drawn to studying psychology + counselling that it felt right. And the more I learn the more right it seems, because all the problems you mentioned have been caused by humans' mental dysfunctions, being disconnected, isolated, and struggling so much with our own problems that we either contribute to the world problems and/or feel helpless/unable to do anything.

I have found everything I have learned helpful every day, both internally and in the world around me. You don't have to wait too long, just as long as you can read and study; a lot of universities you can just do one subject at a time to start with. Ongoing therapy is essential for psychologists and counsellors anyway, and your personal experiences with mental health will help.