Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Feeling awful

Njax14 February 15th, 2017

My anxiety has been flaring up badly for the past two weeks. I've started having heart palpitations/chest pain. Im thinking it may just be a terrible anxiety symptom but my mind still jumps to heart attack which just makes the panic attacks worse. Last night I had what i think is called a nocturnal panic attack..I jolted out of my sleep gasping for air and my throat felt closed off. It was the most horrible feeling and took an hour to subside. I am so tired of feeling like this and being scared all day every day. I just want to go back to normal

LotusFlower92 February 16th, 2017

@Njax14 oh no, I'm so sorry to hear you're having such a difficult time with your anxiety. I know how tough it is to try getting through it and how some days feel like there's no light at the end of the tunnel. I can assure you there is and that you won't always feel this way. I'd suggest practicing mindfulness and meditation, as these soothe the mind and body. Please don't forget that the mind and body are one, so whatever negative thoughts you're having will effect your body. Remember to inhale and exhale slowly, recognize these thoughts, and ask yourself if they're rational or not. When inhaling, let your belly expand and when exhaling, let your belly sink in. Breathe from the abdomen and not the chest, as this creates shallow breathing and the feeling of panic. I hope you feel better!

exampligratia February 15th, 2017

@Njax14

Hello.

If you haven't seen a doctor, you probably should once you can. You said something like "jolted out of bed with a tight throat" sounds kind of like sleep apnea. Do you have any other underlying heart or lung problems?

If its just your anxiety acting up then also see a doctor or psychologist or whoever you do see for that. Perhaps try not to be stressed as you go to sleep.

All the best

sunnyShip2345 February 16th, 2017

Hello, I've been having really bad anxiety attacks for the past week or two and It happens daily, I tried EVERYTHING to distracte me and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, I'm just really tired of feeling like this and it's happening for no reason at all, I'm really frustrated about this and I just want it to end. And I don't know what else to do