Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Do you ever feel overly responsible?

PluckyLuck248 June 13th, 2018

Just for everything? I feel like the glue that keeps my family together so I feel responsible for just about everybody and fixing all the stupid stuff they do, living up to a set standard set by them. Even when I'm not at home I feel like I'm still looking after someone, constantly calling home. Does anybody else feel this way? Any advice on how to deal with feeling this way?

ShantaJacksonLPC June 13th, 2018

@PluckyLuck248 I've certainly been there, its this since of obligation that you have with your family. But sometimes you have to "unplug", and begin telling yourself that you are not responsible for their decision. If it's tough to detach, one thing I did was emotionally seperate myself by only offering "advice" when asked, I never tried to fix their problems, offer solutions, I just decided I would be a listening ear, and when that phone call was over, or that lunch date ended, I left it right there, and shifted gears in my mind. I would then put the focus back on me, on things I needed to do for myself. The more I practiced, the better I got, and the less dependent my family were on me. Hope this help! But know you have support here!

compassionateLake3307 June 18th, 2018

Yeah all the time sad, although certain family members treating me like they did growing up, my mother especially, and her eventually even blaming me for stuff she'd done and twisting things to get sympathy and making me take the fall/blame, really didnt help. at one point when my parents (finally) got divorced she even told me the divorce was all my fault.

Im better than I was, but even if I don't frantically try to fix everything anymore, internally its still something I battle with