Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Dog in car - anxiety

comealongpond1988 August 8th, 2019

Today at work a patron told me that there was a dag in a car and the windows were barely rolled down. A coworker of mine knew who the van belonged to, so she went to talk to them. They said the windows were cracked, and that there was a fan going. Apperantly the people who own the van are homeless. The original patron left, and when she left she had called the police to respond to the situation, who then talked to the owners of the van. I just feel so much guilt because I didnt do anything when I should have. I dont know how much the windows were cracked. Im not sure how the fan situation was set up. I am asuming the dog is ok, but I feel like if something had happened, it would be my fault. I am also worried about what the original patron who told me about it thinks of me. or since I was at work, what she thinks anout the pace I work for. I just feel like a garbage person who should have done more.

SecretlyMe February 24th, 2020

@comealongpond1988 That must have been stressful for you and I'm sorry that you had to deal with that added pressure at work. I understand why you feel bad but I thinking you are taking on more blame than you should be. Like you said, you didn't know know much about the situation, you didn't see how much the windows were open, you didn't know if a fan was on or not. It isn't your fault that you didn't know.

Rather than feeling guilty, I think you should take this as a learning expereince. No one was hurt (the dog was fine) and now you know what to look out for and what to do next time you see a dog sitting in a parked car. I hope your anxiety over this event has gone down since you posted this. But if not, I'm here if you would like to keep talking about it.