Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Anxiety and feeling ashamed

SunflowerAnxiety January 30th, 2020

Hello.

I have suffered from anxiety for years now. I tried to tell to my family about it but all I got was it is in your mind, just dont think about it I am sure everyone had that at some point.

well, I got married last year to an amazing man. He is understanding and I told him about my anxiety and he tries his best to make me feel better which made me feel ashamed and guilty. I stopped talking about anxiety and I am trying to deal with it alone specially that I moved to another country away from anyone I know.
I do feel so lonely and I dont want to burden my husband with my anxiety. Even the tiniest comment can throw me into days of self criticism and feeling of guilt.
I wish I can get rid of these feelings before it ruins my relationships.

TimD2678 January 30th, 2020

@SunflowerAnxiety I can tell you through experience that trying to just suck it in and deal with it yourself is the worst possible thing you can do to yourself. It prolongs the anxiety. Since your new husband has acknowledged it, dont assume you are a burden. Better to let him help you examine what the source of the anxiety, and the feelings you have when you are anxious are. It will help you discover your triggers, and how you can process them better. But dont take your feelings and hide in the closet with them. It only makes the frequency of the anxiety much worse.