Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Anxiety Tics

Nova235 May 16th, 2021

Recently I've started developing tics. I think they are caused by anxiety but I'm not sure. I want to see someone about them but my parents are those "mental health and mental illness are myths and therapist are all quacks anyway" kind of people. They seem to be caused by loud or lots of sounds, brigth lights, uncomfortable clothing, stress, boredom, or stuttering. Writing this I can't stop jerking my head but the more I try to supress it, the worse it gets until I am about to break my neck. When I get them in public I get strange looking which only elevated the anxiety and makes the tics worse. I also repeat words or phrases that other people say and they think that I am making fun of them. I am not trying to be rude, but I can't stop it. If anyone else has experienced this, what has helped you? So far I found found that music and holding a stuffed animal or pillow helps, but at school I don't know how to stop them.

May 19th, 2021

@Nova235 Glad you are identifying the things which get you uncomfortable, as well as identifying helpful things. I have not experienced the tics, but I can imagine your situation. Hope you will find more about managing your way around it.