Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Leaves on a Stream - An Exercise in Mindfulness to help with Anxiety

OzzieSanta April 11th, 2022

This is a mindfulness exercise that may help people with anxiety.

1. Sit in a comfortable position and either close your eyes or rest them gently on a fixed spot in the room.

2. Imagine you’re sitting by the side of a gently flowing stream, and there are leaves flowing past the surface of the stream. Imagine it however you like – it’s your imagination. (pause 10 seconds.)

3. Now, for the next few minutes, take every thought that pops into your head, place it on a leaf, and let it float on by. Do this regardless of whether the thoughts are positive or negative, pleasurable or painful. Even if they’re the most wonderful thoughts, place them on the leaf and let them float on by. (pause 10 seconds.)

4. If your thoughts stop, just watch the stream. Sooner or later your thoughts will start up again. (pause 20 seconds.)

5. Allow the stream to flow at its own rate. Don’t speed it up. You’re not trying to wash the leaves away – you’re allowing them to come and go in their own good time. (pause 20 seconds)

6. If your mind says, This is stupid or I can’t do it, place those thoughts on a leaf. (pause 20 seconds.)

7. If a leaf gets stuck, allow it to hang around. Don’t force it to float away. (pause 20 seconds.)

8. If a difficult feeling arises, such as boredom or impatience, simply acknowledge it. Say to yourself, “Here’s a feeling of boredom” or “Here’s a feeling of impatience.” Then place those words on a leaf, and let the leaf float on by.

9. From time to time, your thoughts may hook you, and you’ll lose track of the exercise. This is normal and natural, and it will keep happening. As soon as you realize it’s happened, gently acknowledge it and then start the exercise again.

10. Again and again, your thoughts will hook you. This is normal. As soon as you realize it, start the exercise again from the beginning.

11. Bring the exercise to an end… and sit up in your chair… and open your eyes. Look around the room… and notice what you can see and hear… and take a stretch.

Try it and let me know how it feels

(Thread moved to a more appropriate/ suitable subforum by Sunisshiningandsoareyou ❤️)

Sunisshiningandsoareyou April 12th, 2022

@OzzieSanta

Hey Ozzie, thankyou for sharing this awesome exercise. It sounds quite relaxing. Hope to try it soon. ❤️

How has your experience been with the same?

NewYorker11 August 21st, 2023

@OzzieSanta

wow, this is an awesome Mindfulness exercise, i think i will use this exercise from time to time whenever i need an escape from too much thinking!

StarlightHug August 22nd, 2023

@OzzieSanta I've heard of imagining your thoughts as cars for a similar exercise, but this visual is much more relaxing. I love it!

HealingTalk November 20th, 2023

@OzzieSanta 

I tried it briefly and it's so calming!

It has the best of meditation practice, in an easy-to-do format.

And the imagery is calming in itself.

A brilliant resource! Top-notch!

Thank you for sharing it!

agreeableVillage29 November 21st, 2023

I love this! Thanks.