Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Phobia of Medical Needles

midhaynight May 20th, 2015

I have a severe phobia of needles, specifically medical needles. Lancets, syringes, and blood draws freak me out. Normally this would be a problem for an average person, as they only need 1-2 blood draws a year or less, however I am a uncontrolled type 2 diabetic.

My phobia has caused me to neglect medical attention as every time I go to the doctors they either force me to go get a blood draw (which is worst type of needle I can find) or trying to get me injectable medications. No matter how much I tell them of my fear they keep telling me my life is at stake and I should 'suck it up'. But that is the exact point. I'd rather die then go near a needle. I avoid pricking my finger and in fact haven't touched my blood meter in almost a year. I feel bad about lying to them, but I feel worse when looking at a needle.

My fear has also caused them to believe that I have high blood pressure, as every time they check my blood pressure they mention an A1C test and my blood pressure SKYROCKETS, and when I tell them this they just seem to brush it off.

My health while okay(?) for now is going to fail, my blood sugar (apparently) ranges around 450+ and my A1C is usually above a 8. Just for reference blood sugar should be less then 120 and your A1C should be less then 3. My doctors are baffled as I should be in a coma or even dead right now.

Nothing I have done seems to help, as taking medication (That is supposed to make me numb to the world) doesn't work until AFTER the blood draws and taking a tranq seems excessive. I have gotten my blood drawn 5 times in the past 2 years and every time I have either fainted, thrown up, or both on the attendants. Listening to music doesn't work, and I have even tried emersion therapy which only has made it worse.

The weird part of all this is the fact that neither sewing needles or tattooing needles freak me out like this. Just medical needles.

Has anyone here felt something similar to this or otherwise have any advice to deal with this?

ELITE1337 March 7th, 2019

I never used to have a problem with needles, but since my anxiety became evident, I couldn't even look at a needle (I still cant). Looking at needles makes me sick, even if I see a needle disposal container. I had an experience once where I almost passed out after leaving the office.

Oddly enough however, I found that what triggered my anxiety from this was the needle AND the alchohol wipe. So I ended up closing my eyes and holding my breath, and it helped a bit. 😖

sophiaroberts August 20th, 2019

@midhaynight

AffyAvo May 20th, 2015

I feel for you. I didn't have a bad needle phobia, but if I watched them insert the needle when getting blood drawn I would get light headed. Once it was in I could watch them switch the tubes no problem.

I don't have anything specific monitored, but due to multiple health conditions, as well as attempting to get diagnoses and find out if I was a good candidate for certain treatments I've had numerous blood draws in the last few years.

When I was told I would be trained to do my own IVs I was really scared as I knew I would have trouble doing it to myself. My very first attempt I didn't even break skin, I just changed the angle I was holding the needle at. I almost fainted at my first two training appointments.

Immersion therapy was really beneficial for me. It took a while, I actually started it before my training appointments. I still have trouble at times, but other days I do it all by myself without any problem.

Other than the immersion therapy, relaxation techniques and distraction techniques I don't have any methods to suggest. It might be worthwhile to try another counsellor to see what they say.

I would also be willing to brain-storm relaxation and distraction ideas with you if either of those are something you would like to explore more.

midhaynight OP May 20th, 2015

Well as I said nothing seemed to work. It got so bad once i couldn't even prick my own finger with the needle and had to have someone else do it. Even thinking about it sends me nearly into shock. But I am willing to try anything as it really is a life-or-death situation for me.

I have talked to several people about this, including an on-campus counselor, however they (my doctor) will say they will refer me to someone and then never do it. Or otherwise I can't see (my counselor) that often, so it never does me any real good.

So I would be very grateful if indeed we could go over some relaxation and distraction techniques if you would have the time.

sunnytea November 7th, 2016

I have a fear of needles too, and can sympthasize with what's going on. One technique I use is to distract myself by watching Netflix, or humming when it's time. If you have an upcoming appointment, feel free to chat with me as well if you need someone to calm you down.

Mcookie94 July 31st, 2017

i have the same fear. i HATE needles or blood one time i went to have my first surgry and i almost broke my surgens finger because they where trying to get the iv needle in. needles are the worst and i cant understand how people arnt scared of them they are poking a small hole in your skin. i feel for you having diabetes becasue my grandma had it to and she had to prick her fingers and she told me how painful it was for her i pray to god every day i dnt inharrit those genes.

KangYoongi July 31st, 2017

I don't have a big phobia of them, but They're quite scary!

Melpomenie October 13th, 2017

@midhaynight

I have fainted more than once while blood tests..even just by looking at the needle before they put it on me.

I know they can be disturbing AF.

HOWEVER, really suck it up. I have to agree with your doctors, if there is no alternative way so you can avoid them altogether, then try your best to be brave and do your therapy right.

But that's your decision and I know it can be hard to constantly have to face your fear.

Sorry if I'm hard on you, I just wish you good health and well being. Stay strong!

sociableCoconut3583 May 13th, 2019

Im kind of an oddball with needles? Like, Im a person whose perfectly fine with looking at some goret pictures, but without a doubt I have trypanophobia. even a needle on screen will make me squeamish. I cant even look at a needle or a covered needle in person (Im oddly okay with the fake plastic play needles though).When getting my shots I start hyperventilating and crying, and one day when I had to get three needles (2 in one arm, one in another) the lady only took about 20 seconds for all three and yet I started convulsing and passed out and was unresponsive for about 15 minutes.

Weirdest part is that Im relatively chill with it. Dont get me wrong, I abaolutely hate getting needles and dread the day I have to get one alone when my parents wont be available, or if my doctor — who knows I have this fear and is quick and efficient so I dont have to have this build-up of anxiety before hand — isnt there anymore. But I also view it from a more logical stand point. I know if I gotta get a vaccine or a shot, Ill get the shot, and if I got to catch up my record Ill get them all in one day. And when the time comes Im at the point now where Ill jus casually walk out the room with a straight face as Im shivering in fear with tears down my face and sore arms having casual conversations with the desk lady/my guardian. And when I look back Im just like Oh yeah, I got a shot and literally passed out; a pretty good friday if I do say so myself.

sociableCoconut3583 May 13th, 2019

@sociableCoconut3583

TLDR: I feel you, and my best way of coping with it is to not take myself seriously, or just treat it as a normal part of my life. Of course there are days where I dread having a fear ao blatant, but I just see it as a part of me that makes life a bit more interesting. Good or bad (mostly bad but as AJR once said, 100 bad days make 100 good stories, and 100 good stories make me interesting at parties.)

Sadeyes52 August 7th, 2023

I’m exactally the same I panic when I need blood draw or shot. I’m 52 this started only about 5 yrs ago. If u need to talk I’m here. I have a blood drawn appt at the end of august I’m stressing and freaking out already.

justjack2001 August 8th, 2023

@midhaynight

I'm not a medical professional, but it sounds like you're dealing with a severe phobia that's impacting your ability to manage your health condition effectively. It's important to address this issue so you can receive the necessary medical care. Here are a few suggestions you could consider:

1. **Seek Professional Help:** Consider working with a mental health professional who specializes in treating phobias or anxiety disorders. They can help you develop strategies to cope with your fear of medical needles.

2. **Gradual Exposure Therapy:** While you mentioned trying immersion therapy, gradual exposure therapy might still be beneficial. Working with a therapist, you can gradually and safely expose yourself to needles in a controlled manner to desensitize your fear.

3. **Medication:** Discuss your situation with a doctor or psychiatrist. They might be able to prescribe anti-anxiety medication that could help you manage your fear during medical procedures.

4. **Hypnotherapy or Mindfulness:** Some individuals find relief through hypnotherapy or mindfulness techniques. These approaches aim to relax and redirect your mind away from the fear during medical procedures.

5. **Support Groups:** Connecting with others who share similar fears could provide a sense of understanding and community. You might find helpful strategies or insights from people who have faced similar challenges.

6. **Alternative Methods:** You might explore alternative methods for monitoring your blood sugar levels, such as continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) systems that require fewer needle ***.

Remember, it's important to communicate openly and honestly with your healthcare providers about your phobia and the challenges you're facing. They might be able to offer additional guidance and support tailored to your needs. Please consult a medical professional for personalized advice and treatment options. Your well-being is crucial, and finding a way to manage your fear is essential for your overall health.