Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What's the worst that could happen ?

ChocolateCupcake24 July 23rd, 2023

🌼When feeling anxious, does it help when you reflect upon this question: what's the worst that could happen ?

I learnt this from Alain de Botton's Consolations of philosophy, and it served me sometimes. The philosopher Epicurus suggests that what we fear, the subject of our anxiety, is usually easier to deal with than we think. So he encourages the anxious to imagine the worst case scenarios, in which they often find some overlooked strengths, blessings and even possible positive impact.

Though at times, I find it hard to see its benefits. I've got a Generalized Anxiety Disorder, so my anxiety is quite expanded and touches almost all areas of my life. Do you believe there are areas where this can be more useful than others ? Or do you think this exercise would only worsen the anxiety?

Looking forward to read your thoughts 🌱

toughTiger6481 July 23rd, 2023

@ChocolateCupcake24

in general i have found the worst case scenario...

It does not help in the moment of anxiety ...........but when the situation you imagined worst case comes out fine it feels like a big win because I had imagined the worst. it makes something that was average outcome seem better because i had prepared for a bad outcome.