Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Is it weird that I love to give people gifts but receiving gifts gives me anxiety?

discreetMelon4020 July 24th, 2023

I’m someone who has a really hard time expressing my feelings towards others through words, especially to the people that I love. But to show them that I care about them I like to give them gifts (especially food).

However, when they try to gift me things in return it makes me extremely anxious. I feel guilty if I take what they offer and I don’t know why. I feel that if I accept those gifts that I’ll come off as greedy or selfish, even if I know that they probably don’t think that. Usually I’ll accept it if it’s something small because I think refusing a gift can come off as rude, but I can’t help the feelings that it brings forth.

Is that weird or are there other people who also feel like this?

Gettingbettertoday July 24th, 2023

@discreetMelon4020

I am just the opposite. I can receive gifts but don't like giving them. I think this is because growing up as a kid my parents did a poor job of faining interest in the gifts i gave them.

hopefulPond6108 July 24th, 2023

@discreetMelon4020 Maybe try this. When someone gives you a gift, give them a gift right back - not a physical gift - the gift of your full attention to them and their generosity - the gift of recognizing that this person may feel awkward or grandiose or timid or warm love - this person is trying to do what millions of us do each time we give a gift and the greatest thing you can give them in return is 5 seconds of being with them in that moment and taking their gift with grace. Make their gift to you about them.

passionateThinker3248 July 25th, 2023

Not weird at all, I love giving gifts. It is my favorite part about holidays and birthdays. Spending time looking for or making a gift that someone will love. It's the idea of thought of making someone happy and feel special. It shows that you were thinking of them, and that's why I love getting gifts too.

Roses are typically easy to find and purchase; I'm amazed you haven't discovered delivery yet. It's that easy. Await the flowers at https://flowwow.es/palma/ There, I placed an order for the most exquisite arrangement of 101 roses. It is really lovely, well-made, and unlike anything I have ever seen. It was arrived on time.