Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Talking about challenges in workplace.

StarrySkiesandSea December 20th, 2021

Hi All,

So I was diagnosed with ASD about 8 years ago, and I am increasingly understanding the impact that it has on my life. I am currently a paid volunteer in public service. My assistant supervisor apparently has felt that I am not respecting her authority, and brought it up to my supervisor. The 3 of us are going to do a problem solving Session tomorrow. My supervisor has historically worked with similar people, while he is unsure about his assistants exposure to ASD. My supervisor has said I should share my medical history with her, but I don't feel fully comfortable with that. Add to the last expressed notion that people with other disorders can experience the same challenges that I experience, break down in communication being a prominent one, but things like Stimming and need for routine being in there, I'm not sure how to best talk about it, address it and/or educate about it. Anyone have any input or suggestions?

TIA,

Nova

MidwesternCalmSeeker January 1st, 2022

@StarrySkiesandSea I hope that your meeting went well and am sorry that I did not see this post before that meeting occurred. Opening up about ASD is difficult. I get it. I wish you all the best as you figure things out.