Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Helping a loved one quit

debanie December 24th, 2018

My wife's 24 year old son called last week and asked for help. He's been using heroin for a while and asked for our help. He hasn't contacted us in more than a year because the last time he got high in our house we told him not to come back until he was ready to quit. Now he's ready and we are happy to help, but I don't know the right things to say to help him or to support my wife.

lovelyWhisper66 December 24th, 2018

@debanie Hello there debanie, welcome to the subcomm! I moved your forum thread to the appropriate area just to let you know. It is so fantastic that you and your wife are supportive of her son. It can definitely be stressful to support a loved one with addiction. Reaching out here is a great first step. How have you all been coping lately? Feel free to check out the following resources for insight.

Resources for Addiction
Resources for Family and Friends

Also, if you ever need to chat with someone, you can always reach out to the listeners at any time. We'd love to hear from you and how you are all doing. Best wishes!

valeriexjane February 10th, 2019

My boyfriend just had a relapse after being clean for a year last month. Hes been going through withdrawal , no detox centers, just doing it by himself at home. I miss the happy , outgoing and energetic him. How do I show him support? I dont know how because this is the first time Ive been in a relationship like this.