Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

How to deal

selfdisciplinedMango2473 October 21st, 2021

I have a family member who is addicted to drugs and its very hard to deal with. I been supportive in the past but its always the same thing I'm gonna do better and be better, I'm not gonna do it anymore, I don't wanna be like this anymore, its always the same excuses for over 10 years now its the same lines. This peraon gets better for a bit then they back on it again and again. I don't believe anything this person says anymore. I no longer can trust anything they say anymore. If it wasn't a family member I wouldn't even talk to that person because its just so hard to deal with being around him.

QuietMagic November 8th, 2021

@selfdisciplinedMango2473

Hi--sorry that that's been happening. That sounds frustrating that they keep promising to improve but then they're repeatedly breaking their promises and backsliding. Can also understand that you might not trust them if they have a track record of being untrustworthy. And that if they weren't a family member, you'd have probably disconnected from them by now.

Here are a couple links I found that have some tips for how to deal with a family member with a drug addiction. The things that stuck out to me were to try to set boundaries, avoid enabling behaviors, and do what you can to protect and take care of yourself in certain ways.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/addiction-recovery-101/201802/8-ways-help-when-loving-someone-addiction
https://vertavahealthtexas.com/helping-family-member-with-addiction/

Bre4Me November 9th, 2021

I hear your pain. Unfortunately, you have to look out for yourself. What kind of boundaries have you set? What kind of self care are you engaging in?

Until the addict in your life sees that you're not going to give in to them anymore they're going to keep using drugs and you. That's the life of addiction. The only thing you can change is yourself. Take a moment to ask yourself each day how you're going to do that.

ODAATmeghan27 January 6th, 2022

https://al-anon.org/

Al-Anon meetings are great for people who have family members struggling with addiction. It’s a really supportive group of people who are very welcoming.

WhiteAura9 3 days ago

It sounds like you’re facing a really challenging and painful situation. Supporting a loved one through addiction can be incredibly draining, especially when promises of change are repeatedly broken. Your feelings of frustration and mistrust are completely valid given the repeated cycles you've witnessed.

It must be incredibly hard to navigate the hope for positive change while also dealing with the disappointment of seeing the same patterns continue. Your feelings of wanting to distance yourself to protect your own well-being are also understandable. It’s natural to feel conflicted about maintaining a relationship with someone whose actions continually let you down.

Your ongoing support and patience show a lot of compassion and strength. It's important to acknowledge that you’ve been doing a lot by trying to be supportive despite the difficulties. Balancing your own needs with the reality of your family member’s struggles is a delicate and personal process.

Taking care of yourself amidst this situation is crucial. You might find it helpful to focus on what you need to maintain your own well-being, whether that’s setting boundaries, seeking support for yourself, or finding ways to manage the emotional impact of this ongoing struggle.

Remember, it’s okay to prioritize your own mental and emotional health while dealing with this challenging situation. Your feelings are valid, and it's important to give yourself space to process and care for yourself in the midst of this ongoing difficulty.