Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Are there any positive addictions

supportiveKitty70 September 13th, 2016

Hi guys,

I was wondering what you think on the topic of positive addiction? Do you think there are any addictions that can be called positive and what are those? I searched online and found this article which speaks abt positive addiction: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/philosophy-stirred-not-shaken/201411/are-there-positive-addictions

DestinyAuth0r September 13th, 2016

@supportiveKitty70 first we need to understand the definition of "Addiction".

It can be simply described as a habit-forming act which causes pleasure to the individual, but it can also become a compulsive psychological behaviour.

So addiction, whether positive or negative, it will always and forever be a double edged blade. For example:

You feel extremely satisfied with winning. Everything is a challenge to you so you make sure you win and are good at everything. That kind of "addiction" can help you get good grades, a good job and a good revenue. But this compulsive obsession with winning can harm those around you, making you lose friends and turn you into a self centered narcissist.

Addictions tend to be (often enough) replacements for certain elements we lack in life at the moment. Smoking can be a social key, certain drugs can be to escape pain and stress, certain habits are compulsive in order to offer a "band aid" to our current state of mind which seems to not change.

I do not believe addictions can be positive due to the lack of control we have over them. It is like having the best guard dog but it is not able to listen to anyone. It is dangerous no matter how efficient it is in certain cases.

So yeah, those are my two cents about the possible existence of a positive addiction. It needs to not be left an addiction. Some habits can be good if controlled but then they are not addictions anymore.

Introvert73 September 15th, 2016

@supportiveKitty70

This is actually a very good and interesting question. I personally do not believe any form of addiction can be positive. If someone became addicted to something viewed as positive like working out for example, if/when it starts to have a negative impact on their life , relationships, work, or school the addicted person would not be able to stop working out even though they know its having a negative impact on their life.

Habits however can be either positive or negative , it depends on the habit and the person.

SereneRecipe37 July 18th, 2017

@TheAsh

Nice

KSWQueen July 18th, 2017

I'd think I'm kinda addicted to binge-watching shows.. I guess that's considered positive?