Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

personal requests

samitas November 19th, 2023

hello!! i was wondering if it was normal to receive personal requests and was hoping someone would explain how to send a personal request, thanks!!

GoldenNest2727 November 19th, 2023

@samitas

I don't quite understand, Samitas.  Personal requests for what exactly?  Are members asking you to be their long-term listener?  If so, I think it's fairly common.  You can decide for yourself whether you want to take it on.  I checked your profile and see that you're a teen listener.  It's really commendable that you want to help others.  On the other hand, no one should request your personal information, like your real name or where you live.  It's important to keep safe boundaries.  You should report any interactions that break the community rules.  You can also reach out to a mod or another leadership member if you feel uncomfortable.  The Listener chatroom is another handy place to seek support and information. 

samitas OP November 19th, 2023

@GoldenNest2727
Thank you so much for answering so fast! There are people requesting me personally, which I didn't know was a feature. I appreciate you giving an eye-opener for what that is!

AffyAvo November 19th, 2023

@samitas @GoldenNest2727

There are 2 ways for a 1-1 chat to occur, personal request or general request (GR is often used here).

For a personal request a member picks the listener. They go to a listener's profile and click chat now (listener status is online) or leave message (listener status is busy or offline). If a listener has their status set to online they are more likely to get personal requests and in browse listeners they appear above busy and offline listeners.

If a member doesn't see chat now/leave message when looking a listener's profile it's because the age groups are a mismatch. There is also no way for a member to have a 1-1 chat with another member.

For general requests a member sends out a chat request by clicking chat with a listener and optionally selecting a topic. Listeners can see a queue of these members waiting to speak with a listener and can select a member to chat with. 

GoldenNest2727 November 19th, 2023

@AffyAvo

Thank you for providing a full explanation, Affy!  You're always looking out for us in the forums.  It's much appreciated.

AffyAvo November 19th, 2023

@GoldenNest2727 Thanks 😊

Also, thank you for bringing up the personal information safety information. It's a great reminder, especially if there's any concern a teen may have been asked for their personal information inappropriately!

Comphi November 20th, 2023

@samitas

Once you are listed browse listeners page, members can browse and filter listeners as per their choice and can send you personal request if you are online. Yes its normal. In that case if you are not occupied you can pick their requests, otherwise it is suggested to keep your status as offline or busy so that it does not hamper you personal response rate. Also note that members can directly send you messages even when you are offline. They dont need to send you requests in that condition. But in that case, its upto when you wish to repsond to them. Hope that helps🙂