Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

De-escalating Conflict

Heather July 18th, 2016

I wanted to write this post to offer more direction to everyone on how to defuse conflict and better manage difficult situations in our community. This is particularly relevant to mentors and moderators, but is worthwhile information for all of us
(Added bonus: you can apply this info to real life too!)

What is conflict?
Conflict is a disagreement or argument. It can be between two people, or a group. It can happen when two or more people have differences of opinion, or would prefer for different things to happen. Conflict can take different forms. Sometimes you might just sense that youre in conflict with someone, without necessarily understanding how or why it happened. The key thing to remember is to remain kind and friendly towards the other person so that you dont add to it.

Other times, conflict can be more obvious and heated. For example, someone might be openly angry and frustrated in PM, or in a chat room on the site. In these cases, you can follow the steps below:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Make yourself appear non-threatening to the other person
If you appear threatening, the other person will automatically be in defence mode. By remaining calm and approachable, you help the other person to relax, making them more likely to discuss the problem reasonably.

♦ Dont make threats or accusations
♦ Dont attempt to explain or justify yourself at this point
♦ Remain calm & friendly.

Listen & acknowledge their feelings
Give the other person chance to speak first, and work to understand their side of the problem. You dont have to agree with them - just put yourself in their shoes and try to understand their point of view. As a rule of thumb, people tend to do the best they can with the tools and knowledge they have available at the time.

♦ Assume the best of the other person.
♦ Reflect back what you hear and identify the feelings the other person/people are expressing. E.g. I can hear how frustrated you are right now. or, I can understand how that would be upsetting for you.

Explain your side
Explain your own thoughts, feelings or concerns if the other person is open to hearing - however, take care not to be accusatory. If the person feels threatened, they can bounce straight back into defense mode.

♦ Use phrases that begin with I rather than you. E.g. I feel frustrated when I see you do X. Rather than, You make me angry when you do X. or I need to ensure this room stays supportive and thats hard when you X. Rather than, You make the room unsupportive when you do X
♦ Apologize if necessary. E.g. I am sorry I misunderstood you before.

NOTE: In some cases, sharing your side may be educating them about relevant site-resources that can help them manage different types of situations. Ex. if you are being threatened by a member, you can show them how to use the block button. Teach them how to take care of themselves using the site tools & guidelines.

When in doubt, kill them with kindness!
If the other person is not interested in talking things through, or youre just not sure what to say to them, be sure to stick to kind and friendly things only. This helps to avoid fuelling the situation.

Move forward
This is the ultimate goal in de-escalating a situation. You need to be able to move forward positively, without grudges being held by anyone involved.

♦ Initiate a topic change.
♦ Avoid bringing up previous events in future interactions.
♦ Take care not to hold grudges

NOTE: Sometimes a situation will not be fully de-escalated by the end. That is okay. Especially if this is a conflict in PM, you need to know when its time to walk away. Sometimes, it will take someone a while to calm down. Professionally let them know that youd like to end the conversation. After you announce that you are leaving, it is okay to no longer respond to them for 24 hours. After that time, you can follow up if needed/ if you feel comfortable.

July 18th, 2016

Very helpful post!

Meguminx July 18th, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to post this. Very helpful!

Celaeno July 18th, 2016

That's a great post! Highly informative and practical. I'll definitely bookmark it for the future refrence. Thanks for writing it, @Heather!

HopieRemi July 22nd, 2016

Great post! Will definitely be trying to put this in my modding style!

Mtude July 23rd, 2016

@Heather

Thankyou for this post, timely given I have a conflict arising at my job and I try everything to avoid. I worry incessantly about a situation until it's over.

supportiveFreedom51 August 22nd, 2016

Very helpful post!!

warmSoul46 September 20th, 2016

@Heather This is extremely helpful. You are truly the Guardian of Group Support. I just love this because it can be used to reduce stress from incoming conflict and I just love the way you voice your opinion on how to deal with it. Thank you for making this community a better place Heather. :D

LuckyCloverX March 14th, 2017

@Heather violence is never the answer, thank you for this amazing guide Heather. Peace <3

March 22nd, 2022

Thanks!

So amazing and helpful post.

*if in doubt kill them with kindness* yeah, if we aren't sure about what to do, we can still be kind and considerable of others feeling and make them feel heard ❤️.

beautifulalamort March 22nd, 2022

@Heather

Great post and with so many good tips we can use , definitely so helpful will try to utilize the words. Thank you so much for this!

prashpal84 March 22nd, 2022

@Heather

that's really helpful post both for PMs & group chats.

I agree, with just being polite and kind, we can take care of most of the disagreements & avoid them getting converted into arguments.

Few things I would like to mention are

• we can avoid mentioning our powers if any for example.. I can mute you, block you, report you, I will delete your messages etc. If needed that can be done but mentioning them in argument can trigger the other person more
  • Also I feel the person (member or listener) should feel the equality at all times in the conversation. If one tries to show that they are superior because of any reason (like being experienced listener, mentor, leader etc) that can also trigger other person more
spongebob2021 March 22nd, 2022

@Heather

Thanks !!!

MikuoniandBlueCheese March 22nd, 2022

@Heather

I love how in depth this guide is, and the constant assertion to always be kind to the other person is super important to keep into consideration when dealing with conflict. I struggle sometimes in conflict with keeping my cool, and I think it's very important to understand how the other person is feeling in the situation, and what instigated them to start the conflict, or why they are continuing the conflict. I'll have to bookmark this post because it's really useful, thank you Heather!

I saw what @prashpal84 also said and I definitely agree that it's definitely better to leave admin/mod powers out of the conflict and focus on actually making progress with reducing conflict all together.

HealerWithin March 22nd, 2022

@Heather

Wow, those are some useful tips on how to de-escalate conflicts. They will be helpful not just in chat here but I guess any situation in general. I love the point to appear non-threatening to people because it definitely puts them on the defensive side.

Thank you so much for the tips! :)

VaryingCloud March 22nd, 2022

@Heather

Thank you for this well written post!❤️ Many important and relevant points are mentioned in a structured manner. A nice read indeed!

I had come across a very interesting point about conflict while watching one of the videos here on site about boundaries. It said something like conflict arises when boundaries are not respected and trespassing is done. Made a lot of sense. : )

rommebai000 March 23rd, 2022

Very good post extremely helpful.

LauraListens2 March 23rd, 2022

@Heather This post was just shared to me by another listener, thank you for your insight!

Prachi9876 March 23rd, 2022

@Heather
Beautiful Post Heather
I could really the second step of Listening and Acknowledging their feelings in conflict situations. Thanks for sharing. It was informative :)

blissart March 23rd, 2022

@Heather

Very helpful post . surely a common situation we find ourselves in one time or the other here and irl .

Khoda77 March 23rd, 2022

@Heather

Some fascinating pieces of techniques you've provided for us, Heather! Surprised this isn't somewhere more convenient to find!

I want to add an extra opinion though; I think if you're the one trying to de-escalate a situation, I think it's really good to hammer home the realistic chances of de-escalation. It really is okay to walk-away and hang your coat if you can't win this "fight". Careful against ruminating on self-blame. You did your best, you can take this as a useful lesson for the future and pat your back for taking the mature step!

MelodyoftheOcean March 23rd, 2022

@Heather

I love your perspective on the subject, and of course the Post itself. And I completely agree, most of the times conflicts are easily solved by just being kind and understanding towards the other person, but also explaining how you see it
💚

ListenerIvana March 23rd, 2022

Great post! I am a huge fan of the topics such as stress, conflict and time management.

Did you know that there are 5 main styles of conflict management?

The 5 conflict management styles are:

• Accommodating
  • Avoiding
  • Compromising
  • Competing
  • Collaboration

If you want to solve a quiz which will tell you your conflict management style or you would like to learn more about it, this link might be useful to you:

https://www.valamis.com/hub/conflict-management-styles#conflict-management-styles-quiz

ASilentBunny March 23rd, 2022

Thank you so much for sharing this with us Heather! It’s normal for conflict to occur from time to time, but we should all know how to act when they occur! ❤️

spongebob2021 March 23rd, 2022

@Heather

Thanks for posting this !!

Ashlinn March 24th, 2022

@Heather

Thank you so much for this post. I especially like #2, since many times when someone seems to be the aggressor towards us our first instinct is usually to defend ourselves. Many times simply just hearing the person out will help us to understand their viewpoint better and may help us to find a middle ground. It's definitely good information that we can use both on this site and in our every day lives.

emotionalTalker2260 March 24th, 2022

@Heather

thanks for taking your time to type this, this is soo handy. 😊 great post 💕

March 24th, 2022

Thank you so much @Heather for taking the time to write this! Very informative, and definitely worth a read!

Zarram77 March 25th, 2022

@Heather Thank you for this thread. Whenever I engage in a conflict with someone, I do not explain my side because I always get so emotional. But this post has helped me understand the ways to cope with the situation of conflict.

April 1st, 2022

@Heather thank you for this informative post

trueconfidant123 June 14th, 2023

@Heather

Insightful post. Thank you.

SirenOfSerenity June 14th, 2023

Wow, first time coming across this and I'm super grateful that it was created. Thank you Heather!

@beck1 this will be helpful in the near future for resource updates

beck1 June 14th, 2023

@SirenOfSerenity Yes for sure! Super informative post