Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

'Tricks' to use to stop/prevent/help with BFRB and other forms of Self Harm

LittleLotte September 14th, 2017

Here is a list of some 'tricks' that I know of to stop/prevent/help with SH, skin picking etc. I hope they are of some help.

TRIGGER WARNING: there are no graphic descriptions of self-harm/BFRB in this post but if you're not in a good place right at the moment then reading this tips might not be helpful right now.

Elastic bands: put around wrist, arm or leg and snap against skin to simulate the pain feeling of self-harm.

Red pen: draw lines (or dots if you prefer) on your skin in the places that you could usually cut (or pick) to 'trick' your brain into thinking you've done it.

You can also get soap crayons so you can draw red marks on your skin in the bath/shower, and at certain times of the year the shop Lush sell red coloured shower scrubs which can have a similar effect.

Ice cubes: Holding ice cubes on your skin creates a non-harmful burning feeling.

Freeze your ‘tools: Put your tools (blades, tweezers etc.) into a plastic cup, fill with water and put in your freezer. Then the next time you feel you need them you will have to wait for them to thaw, by which time you might no longer need them.

Oranges: Squeeze it really hard, digging your nails in so that it releases the citrus scent. Being mindful of the different sensations (feeling, scent, taste in the air etc.) can help to 'ground' you (can be very useful who disassociate or have flashbacks). You can also put the orange (or any citrus fruit) in the fridge or freezer first if having that cold-burn sensation also helps.

‘Helpful pain: Things like waxing, epilating and plucking hair can be a bit painful but can make you feel more body confident (once the redness has gone down!), and if you SH to feel a physical sensation then these things might help. However, if you pick at your skin or pull hair (any type of Body-Focused Repetitive Behaviours) then this tip might not be suitable for you.

Fidget toys: If you unconsciously pick, scratch etc. then having something else in your hands can prevent it e.g. a fidget toy (like a Tangle), a stress ball, play dough, rosary beads etc.

Timer: Use a timer to limit the amount of time you spend picking/self-harming.
Set it and tell yourself you're only allowed to spend that amount of time doing it, slowly decrease the time. This helps if you often get lost in the process of harming/picking and end up 'losing time' without meaning to. You can also use it to delay (and perhaps altogether prevent) incidents by saying "I'll try to wait 5/10/15 minutes before I do it and see if the urge goes away".

Distraction box: Fill a box with things that you enjoy and will distract you from feeling the urges. My box has things like puzzle books, colouring pictures, bubbles, little one-person games etc. in it.

Beat up a cushion: punch, bite, scream into etc. a cushion or pillow. You could also take your feelings out on a newspaper by ripping it up as much as possible.
Some people find doing it quickly helps, others find calm, methodical tearing is better for them.

Or how about making some bread and kneading the h3ll out of that dough?! And youll have something tasty to eat once youve got all your anger out.

Fake tattoos: Those transfers that you put on your skin with water. Put them in the places you normally harm/pick. They can help by covering up the area, making your skin look prettier/different for a short period of time, and also you can tell yourself "I won't harm until it has washed off" (of it's own according, no scrubbing allowed!). I've heard that some people do the same with permanent markers (because they do eventually wash off) and they draw things like hearts and butterflies on themselves.

Gloves: Another tip for those who don't always know they're doing it – wearing gloves will prevent certain harm and can make you more aware of what you're doing.

Meditation, exercise, masturbation, breathing exercises etc. are all useful 'tricks' as well, you just have to figure out what techniques work for you and which don't. Also, some may help some of the time, depending on your mood.

healingWhisper June 22nd, 2020

@LittleLotte

These are indeed some good tricks :)