Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Suggestions for coping with family stress during the holidays

halcyonCloud2036 November 25th, 2021

My family is intense. Lots of strong personalities and loud discussions. Sometimes, I just need to be away from it all even though my visit is short-term. I just cannot deal with all the constant questions, thoughts and suggestions. I love them, but dear God, they are A LOT sometimes. I just need a break or maybe need a better way to cope when I visit.

-Is it just me? Or does anyone else feel this way when going home?

-How do you get through it?

-Should I just be grateful and accept it is what is?

Sunisshiningandsoareyou December 10th, 2021

@halcyonCloud2036

Hear you , being around too many people at once can be overwhelming indeed and feeling the need to be away , take a break are all valid ❀ so commendable of you to look for different ways to cope with it .

We sure can be grateful and be more accepting, but gratitude has nothing to do with invalidation ~ even while being grateful to our loved ones, sending time with them and any other holiday related feelings , we can still feel like needing a break and that's super okay also ! ❀

7 cups community is truly amazing, there's so much support , resources and people in the same boat as ourselves, that sure is comforting hehe ! I'd like to give credit to @Sher217 for making super thoughtful threads on this exact topic lately and I hope you find those helpful too, Cloud 😊

Linking it Here and more Here (clickable)

Sending warm regards ✨

Sher217 December 10th, 2021

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou

Hey Sunni πŸ‘‹

πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œ says it all

And thank you for spreading the word about the Family & Caregivers discussions πŸ™‚

~ Sher

Sunisshiningandsoareyou December 10th, 2021

@Sher217

Hey sher, thankyouu hehe, purple hearts backkkπŸ’œπŸ’œ

And ofcourse , pleased to !

Thanks for sharing the great tips alsooo πŸ€—

Sher217 December 10th, 2021

@halcyonCloud2036

Hey Cloud πŸ‘‹

Yes! I can 100% relate to what you've described πŸ’œ

A 'trick' that saved me through the years was the phrase "I'm going to step outside for some air but I'll be right back". To be honest, the loudest people didn't even notice that I had stepped away, lol. This gave me a minute to literally take some deep breathes, allow my ears to stop ringing from all the noise and also to settle my nerves by grounding myself.

I didn't do this for any other motivation than to help myself calm down and prepare to go back in again. A side benefit was that sometimes a quiet member of the family would step outside also, for a quiet moment, and we could share and support one another for a few moments πŸ˜€

For your last questions:

It's okay to love and appreciate family members (even the ones that can make you crazy, lol)

I think accepting them, as they are, is a wonderful thing (*when possible)

Most importantly, I think finding little ways to do what is healthy and best for you should be #1 πŸ’œ We are able to give to others easier when our own cups is filled with warmth, comfort and love for ourselves.

These are just my thoughts on how I made it through gatherings with family. I hope something sparks your own ideas for what works best for you.

Best wishes

~ Sher

exquisitePeace7976 December 19th, 2021

@halcyonCloud2036

I do understand. Different and difficult personalities in my family. i just try to stay positive keep smiling and keep moving.