Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 3: PL 102 - The Problem is the Path (Discussion 1)

GlenM August 26th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 3, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-

Hello LDP Team!

I am enjoying this program and I hope that you all are finding it helpful and meaningful! I'm excited about this next course. The problem is the path is the core insight that helps us evolve as individuals and as a community here on 7 Cups.

Here is an overview of this course:

Course Description: It is natural for us to want to avoid problems. Problems can cause worry, anxiety, and frustration. These are feelings that we often want to avoid. Problems, however, are the key to growth. When we face our problems directly we get smarter and grow stronger. A saying that captures this is: Progress = Pain + Reflection. This course helps you learn the value of problems by highlighting the difference between problems you might be concerned about and problems you can directly solve. Next, it walks you through the ancient practice of steering into problems directly in order to unlock their value and gifts. Finally, it helps you identify and measure progress so you can make continued gains in your personal and professional life.

1. Watch the following video and identify 3 things in your circle of concern, 3 things in your circle of influence, and 1 thing you can do to remind yourself to focus on your circle of influence.

https://youtu.be/tD0aFZkFrFA

2. Next, watch the following video and highlight what stands out to you about this executive? What did they do that would be considered proactive as opposed to reactive?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj8dmSgQa1c

Bonus: Check out chapter 8 of the book 7 Cups for the Searching Soul (more in the next discussion) for a deeper dive into learning more about accepting what we cannot control.

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

(edited by @SoulfullyAButterfly on 29/1/2021 to update (1) to replace it with a working YouTube link)

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

Tyedyedbutterfly65 August 28th, 2020

@GlenMsmiley

1. Watch the following video and identify 3 things in your circle of concern, 3 things in your circle of influence, and 1 thing you can do to remind yourself to focus on your circle of influence.

My Circle of Concern - 1 , Health for me and my Hubby and Son 2. Finances 3. Family Members Drama

Circle of Influence - 1.Focus on taking better care of my own self I can not control what they do only me. 2. Watch what i spend money on. 3. Steer Clear of the family drama and not engage or be around them.

Remind Myself - That I can control some things but others I can not.. Stop expanding my circle !!

2. Next, watch the following video and highlight what stands out to you about this executive? What did they do that would be considered proactive as opposed to reactive?

He was proactive and focused on his circle of influence and read through the situtaion and he compensated them and empathized .. He made weakness Irrelevant .. recommendations .. his circle expanded and his strength seen as success . great leadership skill !!!

Bonus: Check out chapter 8 of the book 7 Cups for the Searching Soul (more in the next discussion) for a deeper dive into learning more about accepting what we cannot control.

LOVE THE BOOK !!! - Chapter 8 talks about worrying and stressing and how it affects us and how to work on how we deal with things using Mindfulness is one way - which I will say I knew nothing about until coming to 7cups 2 years ago. Taking care of ourself is so important and letting go of things that we can not control and not stressing over things .. Controlling things is not gonna happen only very few things .. we wear ourselves out mentally and physically.

We do need to deal with Problems but some problems we can make up and then feed the problems and believe they are real when some are not really problems at all.

Peace and Love, Tye heart

Daf8 August 29th, 2020

@Tyedyedbutterfly65

heart Woah! Amazing! heart

Tyedyedbutterfly65 August 29th, 2020

@Daf8heart Thanks ! heart

Daf8 August 29th, 2020

@Tyedyedbutterfly65

heart *Hugs* heart

GlenM OP September 11th, 2020

@Tyedyedbutterfly65 great analysis and glad to hear you love the book!

Tyedyedbutterfly65 September 11th, 2020

@GlenM Yes I do and I am not someone who sets and read books like I use too.. I am so glad that I did and this Leadership Program is amazing I am gonna say this again I believe all Leaders need to do this to be a Leader on the site.. It sure helped..

Thanks ,Tye smiley

shiningSound31 September 16th, 2020

@Tyedyedbutterfly65

Wonderful analysis, Tye heart

Endure777 September 21st, 2020

@Tyedyedbutterfly65

Awesome job! I too fell in-love with the 7 Cups book. It taught me so much and has already helped me improve myself within a matter of a week!

Vintagechoc October 2nd, 2020

@Tyedyedbutterfly65

You're right about Finance.

SofiaT2000 November 3rd, 2020

@Tyedyedbutterfly65 Very inspiring answer Tye!

Ines1229 December 9th, 2020

@Tyedyedbutterfly65

Amaazing!!! <3

She13 December 17th, 2020

@Tyedyedbutterfly65 - amazing reply :)

thisisirene April 18th, 2021

@Tyedyedbutterfly65 so cool!

TheRusticMystic74 April 2nd, 2022

@Tyedyedbutterfly65

amazing the amount of detail is awesome!!!

iStarlight December 10th, 2022

@Tyedyedbutterfly65

Circle of concern - Health, relationship, education and finance
Circle of influence - Caring for my loved ones, reach my educations, goals needs and achievements
To remind myself to focus on my circle of influence is that to priorities focus on the things that influence, control, or change, rather than the things that I have not said over.

To stand out about this executive, I need to avoid talking about what we are not, allow ourself to be vulnerable, and sharing story about myself. They would be required to be be proactive which requires looking ahead and planning for the potential mishaps, shortages, or consequences stemming from what we are do. It will prove our good leadership with bad leadership, by not hiding ourselves who we are in nature and speak with honesty by accepting our flaws.

Check out chapter 8 of the book 7 Cups for the Searching Soul (more in the next discussion) for a deeper dive into learning more about accepting what we cannot control.
Chapter 8 I understood the explanation about anxiety and stressing which affects us, but also understanding the outline of working for its solution to deal with mind games and awareness. Learnt that we got to take care of ourself is so essential for letting go of events of our life which cant be control when its already done in past, we need to accept what happened and be aware for forward future to avoid repeats of mistakes done out can be physical events or mental events. In conclusion we do need to understand to deal with problems which can be made up for better future, rather then complaining about it or bragging about it.

1. Chapter 8 I understood the explanation about anxiety and stressing which affects us, but also understanding the outline of working for its solution to deal with mind games and awareness. Learnt that we got to take care of ourself is so essential for letting go of events of our life which cant be control when its already done in past, we need to accept what happened and be aware for forward future to avoid repeats of mistakes done out can be physical events or mental events. In conclusion we do need to understand to deal with problems which can be made up for better future, rather then complaining about it or bragging about i

softMusic9759 August 28th, 2020

Concerns: (1) Finances (2) Health of my parents and finally (3) The environment!

Influences: (1) Start budgeting (2) Try to take care of my parents and make sure they're taking the proper medication (3) Try to use things with less packaging.

Daf8 August 29th, 2020

@softMusic9759

heart So nice and caring! heart

@softMusic9759

Short and nice answer, Music heart I wish you the best in your journey ahead heart

WelcomeToChat October 9th, 2020

@softMusic9759

Synthetic and to the point !

Mankka August 29th, 2020

@GlenM

My concerns: my child's safety, financial affair, our inhabitability.
What I do: my child goes to an other city into a school, but I entrust it in him, how is able to look after himself.
I listen very much on the space of a financial affair, that by the time I write poetry.
I can do only so much in connection with our inhabitability that we should take care of the place where we live just.

Daf8 August 29th, 2020

@Mankka

heart Yay! *Hugs* heart

Mankka August 29th, 2020

@Daf8 hugsheart💐

Daf8 August 29th, 2020

@Mankka

heart *More hugs* heart

Mankka August 29th, 2020

@Daf8

so much kind your words, thank you very much. I really needed these kind words now. I send an affectionate embrace to you.szív

Daf8 August 29th, 2020

@Mankka

heart No! Thank YOU for being you. Thank you, truly. heart

heart *More hugs* heart

@Mankka

heart My best wishes, Mankka smileyheart

Daf8 August 29th, 2020

@GlenM

heart Hi! How are you? heart

heart My circle of concern involves my loved one s well-being, my education and goals, and 7 Cups itself. heart

heart My circle of influence involves me caring for my loved ones, meeting my education and goals s needs and milestones, and keeping up with 7 Cups. heart

heart I can try to remind that I can expand the right circle. I can also balance my life to meet all that I want to meet, and I can keep caring, but taking breaks if needed. heart

heart What makes him stand out and being proactive are his actions. He focused on his circle of influence, doing what he needed to do, being hard-working and clever, and being efficient. He was proactive because he didn t react to the situations: the situations reacted to him. He was proactive because he studied and shaped the circumstances. heart

GlenM OP September 11th, 2020

@Daf8 I like that - "the situations reacted to him." that is a smart way of saying it!

Daf8 September 11th, 2020

heart @GlenM heart

heart Awww, thank you! I highly appreciate your kindness heart

@Daf8

Great and informative answers, Daf8! heartHugs heart

Daf8 September 16th, 2020

heart @shiningSound31 heart

heart So kind of you! *Hugs* heart

shiningSound31 September 17th, 2020

@Daf8

heartHugsheart

Daf8 September 18th, 2020

heart @shiningSound31 heart

heart *More hugs* heart

windSpirit March 9th, 2021

@Daf8 Greatly said about "situations reacted to him". Looks like overall summarization of what he did.

Daf8 March 9th, 2021

heart @windSpirit heart

heart Thank you for your sweet appreciation and kind words, amazing person! heart

azuladragon34 August 30th, 2020

@GlenM

1. Watch the following video and identify 3 things in your circle of concern, 3 things in your circle of influence, and 1 thing you can do to remind yourself to focus on your circle of influence:

Circle of concern: My health, my mom and education

Circle of influence: My weight, my mental health and working hard

In the circle of influence: I am in charge of my diet, not others

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVNpd7E7ltU

2. Next, watch the following video and highlight what stands out to you about this executive? What did they do that would be considered proactive as opposed to reactive?: The executive showed fantastic leadership skills by looking at their circle of influence and expanding on it as well as acknowledging weaknesses. He was also proactive and he read through the situation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj8dmSgQa1c

Bonus: Check out chapter 8 of the book 7 Cups for the Searching Soul (more in the next discussion) for a deeper dive into learning more about accepting what we cannot control. :
Chapter 8 is fantastic as it involves on how to tackle stress and worries and to control what is outside our control

@azuladragon34

heart Hugs heart

WelcomeToChat October 9th, 2020

@azuladragon34

Nice reply ! Good synthesis of the book chapter !

blissart September 1st, 2020

@GlenM

3 things in your circle of concern, -world peace , govt policy, pollution

3 things in your circle of influence -education, environment, relationship

1 thing you can do to remind yourself to focus on your circle of influence. - i want to make this world a better place

His proactiveness. Instead of complaining, he proactively focused on his circle of influence and read through the situtaion and empathized , he expanded his circle , his strengths and made himself ialigned to comapny's needs and hence succeed

shiningDay80 September 24th, 2020

@blissart

He really good executive, a leader. Thanks for your input!