Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Depression Guide Lesson 1: Understanding and Overcoming Depression

GlenM March 11th, 2014

This marks the first post in our new continuing education series! We plan to work through one lesson a week to better learn how to help our members. I'm a big believer in learning by doing. As humans, we are naturally interested in ourselves; if we can learn something and apply it to our lives, then we have a much better chance of remembering it, then if we learn it without applying it to our lives.

If you are interested in participating, then please read the intro to depression section and lesson 1. Let's start by talking about the symptoms of depression.

1. What stands out to you about the different symptoms and how they impact different parts of ourselves (cognitive, emotional, physical, and behavioral)?

2. Why do you think symptom tracking would be a good idea? i.e., why would it make sense for me to do that symptom inventory on a daily basis over a 2 week period?

3. If you were to paint a word picture of how depression feels to you, how would you describe it?

What are other thoughts you have on depression?

Kristey March 11th, 2014

Great questions! I am going to try keep my answers as short as possible because this can go real in depth!

1)​ when you have your depression your brain chemicals change and become unbalanced causing depression.you normally become ( symptoms vary) sleepy,fatigue, anxious, you feel guilty,hopeless,sad and numb and so many more! You can also gain or loose weight. Your bahaivours may include irritability, pulling away from friendships, loss in interests you used to enjoy, wanting to be alone,short tempered andagressive

Kristey March 11th, 2014

Agressive*

Kristey March 11th, 2014

Tracking is CRITICAL! It lets you know your behavior,moods,physical symptoms and emotional symptoms over a period of time and how it is fluctuating you can see what is getting worse and what is getting better it also shows you your depression signs and of suicidal thoughts I would highly recommendtracking your depression it really does help you and your doctor see what is happening.

When I think of depression I think of being stuck in a black bubble that won't pop and you can't do anything about it I picture people trying to pop the bubble to get you out but it won't pop I picture people trying to talk to you through this bubble but it sounds kind of weird like you can't hear them and I think being in a bubble you must feel awful and you won't be able to get a 'good view' of the world being stuck in this bubble.

*please note these are just some of the symptoms and signs of depression and there are many more. Please always contact your doctor if you feel your depression is not improving or getting worse. THEY CAN HELP

Laura OP March 11th, 2014

The picture of the two brain scans right next to each other (one of the healthy brain & one of the depressed brain) are very poignant. From these images, it is clear to see how depression can have such a powerful impact on us.

1) For me the physical symptoms stick out the most. It makes me think about how you could be experiencing one of the physical symptoms of depression but not still fully recognize that the culprit is depression.

2) It is incredible to me how complex of a disease depression is and how it effects each person so differently, in that way it can be a very personal disease. This is why symptom tracking seems like an excellent idea, it allows youto identify commonalities of depression among varying people and put a formal name on symptoms. Additionally, if you are able to track your symptoms over time, you can pick up on important trends, which may give you further insight into how to best treat and work through your depression.

GlenM March 11th, 2014

Great insights! Love the bubble metaphor! Can anyone else relate to that metaphor or maybe has a different word picture to capture depression? I like to see it as a shaded glasses that make everything look gray or less hopeful. Problem is that we are often not aware that we are in the bubble or wearing glasses.

Annalia March 11th, 2014

The metaphor I use is that it feels like everyone is living in a world of color but you're just living in black and white.

Heather March 11th, 2014

1. When I read through the different symptoms, it's thesense of closing in and shutting down,on every level, that stands out to me.

2. Symptom tracking might be a useful tool as it couldhelp to pin point any patterns or particular triggers for your moods. It could also be useful as a way to step back and look at it more objectively. Sometimes you can be depressed and not realise what you're struggling with is depression, so perhaps if you are writing down all the different symptoms it could help you to see symptoms of anillness that can be managed and treated,rather than aspects of who you are.

3. Depression can feel like trying tomove through mud. Everything becomes so difficult and so exhausting and there's no way out of it. Or another way of looking at it could be like sinking in quick sand and the harder you try to get out, the moreyou sink back in.

Kristey March 11th, 2014

I really love your analogies Heather

Graygaze March 11th, 2014

One thing that I learnt about depression recently is that it's different for everyone and there is no way to measure it - how I experience emotions and how others experience emotions (as well as thereintensity) can be two different things. This is important when conversing with others. Even though it may not appear to be a big deal, it could be a big deal to them and we have to be sensitive to that fact. Otherwise, their true emotions would left unheard and it can get even more frustrating. That being said,I think the saying "get over it" could be one of the most harmful phrases out there. Here is a youtube video I found before and ithelped me understand how to connect topeoplemore:

The Power of Empathy -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Evwgu369Jw

GlenM March 11th, 2014

Excellent points all around. As Graygazeindicated, we are all different so our expressions of depression will differ as well. Some of us may express it more physically or emotionally, whereas others might feel more interpersonally withdrawn. Overall, Robyn said it well, it does feel like a narrowing of focus or a closing in or shutting down.

I think in general symptom tracking is a good idea because when you are depressed it often causes black and white thinking or dichotomous thinking. It can feel like "I'm COMPLETELY depressed ALL the time" when really it might be that I'm partly depressed some of the time. Tracking symptoms helps you see that it might not be as bad as it might seem.

Beyond symptom tracking, I think it can also be good to look at the following:

Precipitant - what started the symptoms? when did they begin?

Severity - on a scale of 1-10 (w/10 being bad) how are they?

Finally, I really like all the different analogies you shared. Analogies or metaphors can be powerful b/c they help give you emotinal language to capture something.

Any other thoughts on this first lesson?

Flow March 11th, 2014

1. What stands out to you about the different symptoms and how they impact different parts of ourselves (cognitive, emotional, physical, and behavioral)?

I feel that often the cognitive can be the hardest to overcome because the unhelpful thought patternsbecome so automatic that even if you recognise them it is difficult to change them. It's also the bit that you can't observe in other people andbecause you can'tsee how someone without the illness would think on a day to day basisit can be difficult to recognise that this is something you can change. This is also the bit that is going to make it harderseek the helpneeded because of unhelpful thinking styles which could lead to, for example, negative assumptions that they don't deserve help, or things similar to this.

The behavioural is probably the most stigmatised because there is a general perception in society is that people are "just lazy","not trying hard enough" or "using depression as an excuse" if they don't understand how depression can change your behaviour. I've found that when trying to explain it to some of the most empathic people I know, even theyhave found it difficult to understand howsomeone might not be able to get out of bed in the morning or put basic hygiene in to practise without having experienced these strugglesthemselves. It can seem unimaginable that such basic routine could become such a difficulty.

2. Why do you think symptom tracking would be a good idea? i.e., why would it make sense for me to do that symptom inventory on a daily basis over a 2 week period?

Asides from what people have said before me, it can also be something helpful to do if you are scared to get help as it can help you understand your own symptoms and providea starting point to talk about what you are experiencing, and also gives you something to refer to if a doctor asks something and talking about your feelings gets you too emotional to think or express yourself clearly.

3. If you were to paint a word picture of how depression feels to you, how would you describe it?

Like desperately trying to stay above water without being dragged down by the growing weights attached to you.

Depression can bedifficult for an individual to cope with because even when they feel ready to try and recover there are lots of highs and lows along the way and without the support they need it is easy to feel like even a natural drop in mood is a road straight back to where they were at their lowest and cause panic and upset, creating a spiral downwards again. It can be important for any one with depression to understand that even when they recover they will experience some low periods and that this is normal and okay.

Kristey March 11th, 2014

Very insightful thoughts flow! It's awesome

GlenM March 11th, 2014

Thanks Flow! Love your point that depression isn't being lazy, but can often be perceived that way. Also, good point about a certain amount of sadness being okay. I think we can easily forget that being sad is a normal part of life.

Tina123 March 11th, 2014

1. I personally think that different people can have so many different symptoms as they are all so unique. What is depression for one person maybe quite acceptable for another.

2. The symptom tracking can be very helpful letting the person know whetherthere is a trigger that makes them more depressed at certain times of the day or week. It can help people to see whentheyare feeling at their lowest ebb and also most helpful letting them see that there were good times within the two week period

3.i would describe depression like a black tunnel, sometimes people teter around the edges just having bad days, not feeling good. Other times peopel go in but have the light in there view so although they are feeling low and down there is a light that at times gives them relief from these feelings. Other people go right in the tunnel and all they see is dark, nothing more....these peopel are the one for me that may need the most help they need to try to keep walking the journey until a little bit of light is seen, once they see the little bit of light they may want a little more so will walk towards it.

Not sure if I have gone a bit off here just what came to mind

GlenM March 11th, 2014

Tina, I really like that metaphor as it captures different severity levels.

Also, welcome to 7 cups!

Annalia March 11th, 2014

Thanks for great addition in your point of view Tina, it's great to see how different people take different views on depression.

Kristey March 11th, 2014

great point of view Tina!

shinkhouse May 28th, 2014

Personally for me, I think it is more of a cognitive thing. Sometimes it's really hard to overcome negative thoughts. Sometimes it can be a bit sporadic. You can be good for a moment and down the next. I can also see how it can associate with a behavioral thing. Depression can make you change certain behaviors you have. If you liked doing something really fun before, depression can make it so you don't want to do that fun thing anymore, and not just that either. For me, there have been sometimes where I needed someone to hang out with, but I also just wanted to be alone. I think that depression is something that is hard to explain to your friends or your family. Unless they have experienced depression themselves, they don't really know how to help you out. From their point of view they just think you are sad. But you have a chemical imbalance within you that makes you this way.

I think that a symptom tracking plan would be a good idea because you could monitor what makes you feel this way (where your at, what your doing, what's happening around you, etc.), and then you could develop a plan (like a behavior modification program) to try to decrease your depression.

Depression to me, feels like you are in a huge crowd of people. You know you aren't alone because their is people all around you, but inside yourself... you feel like you are alone. You feel disconnected from the outside world.

Depression is tricky business. I think that it is very beneficial to spread awareness about it and help those overcome it. :)