Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What's the Worst Way to Use Your Time During the Day?

fruityPond7887 February 6th, 2023

roszie-pixabay-png_1675648800.jpg

"Assuming you get the recommended eight hours of sleep each night, that still leaves 16 hours of waking time to fill with a combination of pleasure, pain, boredom, and love. OK, I hear you, no one you know gets eight hours of sleep every night, but just play along with the math I'm laying out here.

All organisms face serious decisions about how to allocate their time and energy. Humans are no different. Many of these choices are determined by wrestling with a complicated set of tradeoffs: "If I work more hours, I make more money but lose time with my family. If I take a job with an hour-long commute each way, I may go insane after two years. If I take my family out to eat every night, I save precious hours grocery shopping, cooking, and cleaning, but it will not be long before my money is all gone." And so on and so on...

Time is a precious commodity that we can never get back. That's why it's so important to make the most of it, especially during the day when we have more energy and a greater capacity to focus. There are many ways to spend your time during the day, but what is the best way? Here are some great ideas to help your sort through your options.

1. Prioritize

First, it is seriously important to prioritize your tasks and responsibilities. Make a to-do list and prioritize your most important tasks, such as work, family responsibilities, fun, and restoration. Tackle your most important tasks first thing in the morning, when you are mentally sharp and attentive, and then move on to less important tasks as the day goes on. This will help you get the most out of your day and prevent burnout.

2. Don't Forget Your Body

Next, it's crucial to make time for exercise and physical activity. Regular physical activity has been shown to improve physical and mental health, reduce stress, and increase energy levels. Whether it's a morning workout, a walk around the block during lunch, or a yoga class after work, making time for exercise is one of the best things you can do for yourself.

3. Take a Break

Another important aspect of making the most of your day is to prioritize self-care. This can mean taking breaks throughout the day to rest and recharge, practicing mindfulness or meditation, or simply doing something you enjoy, like reading or watching a movie. By taking care of yourself, you'll be better equipped to handle the demands of your day.

4. Be Connected

Connecting with others has always been a vital part of healthy human functioning. Spending time with friends and family, volunteering in your community, or participating in group activities can provide a sense of purpose and fulfillment. According to recent research, social connections can help reduce stress, improve mental health, and increase life satisfaction.

5. Avoid Distractions

Finally, it's important to be mindful of your time and avoid distractions. This means putting away your phone and other distractions during work hours, avoiding multitasking, and focusing on the task at hand. By reducing distractions and focusing on your work, you'll be able to get more done in less time. While we are on the topic of daytime distractions, it is important to note that this also applies to the transition between day and night. When it is time for bed, put away the phone. The extra sleep you get will help you the next day more than your favorite *** influencer will.

In sum, there are many ways to spend your time during the day—some positive, some negative. By structuring your daily plans around the suggestions here, you should be able to make the most of your time and live a more fulfilling life."

*Our time is so precious, so it's important that we spend it wisely. I know we all have responsibilities that we have to make sure we give time to each day, but we usually have ~16 hours to spend how we want. It's important we spend time with family, take care of our bodies, and rest! We may not always use our time the most efficiently, but that's a struggle for all of us! I try to always include exercise and socialization in my daily life! What are some things that you try to include in your daily 24 hours that mean the most to you?*

#24Hours #Time #Prioritize

Please find the full article at Psychology Today!

For more reading on how to prioritize your time to best care for yourself, you may enjoy this article.

Bunny1637 February 12th, 2023

@fruityPond7887

I thing it’s so important to include breaks in the math. A lot of people skip them, and unfortunately, I’m one of them. I try to include breaks in my daily routine, even if small ones. I’ve burnt out more times than I could count so to me that’s one of the priorities.

fruityPond7887 OP February 13th, 2023

@Bunny1637 Oh definitely! Without breaks, like you said, burnout is inevitable! We have to reward ourselves with breaks here and there. It can be hard to set those boundaries with ourselves, but they are so important! Thank you for adding that!!❤️