Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Panic attacks and IBS

independentFig3255 October 23rd, 2018

For me, my stomach has often been a problem during periods of panic attacks, sometimes it has been difficult to say what triggered what, ie, if the stomach problems triggered panic attacks or if the panic disorder was causing the stomach issues.

Studies shows that IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) is more common for people diagnosed with anxiety disorder, and panic disorder, compared to people without these conditions. The frequency of IBS symptoms has been found to be especially high for people diagnosed with panic disorder. The presence of IBS is even higher for those diagnosed with panic disorder with agoraphobia.

Can you get IBS from anxiety?

According to medical studies, see article, there are now evidence that the brain–gut pathways are bidirectional. So the answer to the question above is yes, and the other way around, IBS can also set off anxiety.

Both conditions also share many of the same symptoms, such as anticipatory anxiety and avoidance behaviors. Common physical reactions include sweating, rapid heart rate, and a slowing down of the digestive system. People with panic disorder and IBS may have an overactive fight or flight response, causing strong somatic reactions despite a lack of danger.

There are also some evidence that certain food, substances and lifestyle choices, can induce panic disorder and IBS symptoms. Caffeine, alcohol, and sugar, are common triggers for both conditions.

I had symptoms like a mixture of diarrhea and constipation, bloating, excessive gas, and burping, symptoms that indicate IBS (other things were ruled out by medical examinations and tests).

When I was as most bloated, Id notice that it helped me to lay down on an acupressure mat or spike mat. Ive two versions, one shakti mat, and one swedish spike mat. I think that the swedish one is a bit more effective, though one have to be a bit more braver. For anxiety and panic attacks, distraction is a known remedy, and I think that feeling the pain from laying on the spike mat is somewhat contributing to distract ones thoughts.

For the non acute situation, eating the right things is also important for fixing stomach issues. For me I noticed incredible improvements by doing the following:

30 minutes before breakfast, drinking one big glass of water mixed with one teaspoon L-glutamine powder. It will work just as good with L-glutamine capsules, just dont forget to drink. L-glutamine is an amino acid, is a major substrate utilized by intestinal cells, repairs the guts mucosal lining and reduces intestinal inflammation.

Oatmeal porridge for breakfast. Eat fibers, but only water-soluble fibers, and not too much.

Sometime during the evening, 1 glass of Golden (Turmeric) milk, click here for Recipe for anti-inflammatory Golden Milk. This drink is anti inflammatory and calming.

Mix 1 table spoon of chia seeds, or psyllium seeds in one big glass of water, drink before dinner. For me the psyllium seeds were better than the psyllium husk. This fiber drink creates some kind of gel that lubricates the intestines.

ARTICLE SOURCES

Comorbidity of irritable bowel syndrome, panic disorder, and agoraphobia in a Japanese representative sample.
Kumano H, Kaiya H, Yoshiuchi K, Yamanaka G, Sasaki T, Kuboki T.
Am J Gastroenterol. 2004 Feb;99(2):370-6.

The complex interplay between gastrointestinal and psychiatric symptoms in irritable bowel syndrome: A longitudinal assessment.
Stasi C, Caserta A, Nisita C, Cortopassi S, Fani B, Salvadori S, Pancetti A, Bertani L, Gambaccini D, de Bortoli N, DellOsso L, Blandizzi C, Marchi S, Bellini M.
J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2018 Jul 3. doi: 10.1111/jgh.14375

Evidence that independent gut‐to‐brain and brain‐to‐gut pathways operate in the irritable bowel syndrome and functional dyspepsia: a 1‐year population‐based prospective study
N. A. Koloski M. Jones N. J. Talley
22 July 2016

Anxiety and Depression Association of America

Booklover95 October 24th, 2018

@independentFig3255

Thank you so much for writing this here.

I suffer from anxiety, depression and IBS.

Mental health is , like you said, in the majority of cases associated as a cause of IBS showing up.

Is why is so important to get help early on, to avoid having this happening (although some other causes might appear)

sn8skin88 November 15th, 2018

I was hoping someone would talk about this. My digestive system and anxiety have been linked as long as I can remember. There was no diagnosis for IBS when I was a kid or teen and I always just got handed basic anti-flatulence pills, anti-acids, told to eat more bran and whole wheat, and (drum roll) that it was all in my head. It took until I was 30 before I got a doctor who diagnosed me correctly and helped me put it into remission.

It's never gone for good though and whenever my anxiety spikes, my digestion goes off. My stomach bloats with gas until people think I have a beer belly, I digest poorly, have more acid reflux, pains in my lower GI track and variations in BM's. Other things can trigger it as well (certain types of foods and hormones) but the anxiety is one of the main triggers.

To anyone also suffering with IBS, I hope you get into remission. I would never wish it on anyone. It can be so awful and life-altering.