Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

- Forum Dictionary! -

bookworm274 January 4th, 2021

Hello, everyone!

We thought that without a dictionary explaining some of the key terms commonly used within the forums, the other posts may be a bit confusing so welcome to the Forum Dictionary!

Sub-community: A category is called a sub-community when assigned a home page and given a join-community button, this happens when the category is active, has a group of leaders, hosts regular check-ins and has subscribers. A sub-community is the joint of forums and member chatrooms so sub-communities have a related support room too in most cases.

Sub-forum or topic: This is where the community is broken up into more specific areas such as Health Anxiety within the Anxiety Community.

Thread: A collection of posts which typically form a discussion. These can be icebreakers, check-ins, a question or simply anyone asking for support.

Post: A response to a thread/person or a post can be the start of a thread. It is where you write something to contribute to a discussion or thread and will appear in its own section with your username and time it was written.

Reply: This is when you click a button that says reply in order to reply to a particular post, this may be to the original post or to a comment. WHen you press the reply button it also automatically includes the users name that you are replying to.

OP: Original Post - this is a first post that starts a thread.

Hyperlink: This is where you make it so a word becomes a clickable link (it typically becomes a blue colour unless the author of the post changes the colour) - there will be more information on how to make a hyperlink in a post that is soon to come!

FS: Forum Supporter - this is a person who contributes to their chosen community or communities through engaging and supportive threads or replying to other posts.

CM: Community Mentor/Teen Star - these are people who have shown dedication to their community and are active in the forum, they can edit and delete posts to moderate content and keep everyone safe. They can also help with the organisation of the community.

Forum Supporter and Forum Mentor/Star/Member leader roles are subcommunity based. You can apply to be global after a month in your role.

Forum PA: Forum Project Agent - these are people who work in making sure the forums and the teams within the forums are run efficiently. This is the first step in the Forum Leadership roles, they focus on the team as a whole not a particular subcommunity.

CML: Community Mentor Leaders - CML/TSL are leaders in forums who dedicated their time to building community across the whole side. They are always leading a forum-based project and want to improve the forums for everyone regardless of topic.

FA/Amb: Forum Ambassadors - work as a bridge between admin and the volunteer team and also hold trainings and meetings.

NR: This stands for Needs Reply which are posts that have had no response.

Flag: This is when you click the flag icon at the bottom of someone's post to report it as not following forum guidelines.

Upvote: This is when you click on the upwards arrow to show that you read a post and enjoyed it or found it helpful.

Ice-breaker/Fun activity: Respond to 1 post in the Needs Reply queue!

Updated by @tommy on July 27th, 2023

Mel January 4th, 2021

@bookworm274

Wonderful, team! Hope this is useful for all! Red heart

tami150 January 5th, 2021

@bookworm274

Amazing work with this post Book, I hope that it will be helpful💓

Actuallynobody017 January 5th, 2021

The first two and the last twos were in normal english so I understood 😂.

Also you can describe what is hyperlink and how to create it.

bookworm274 OP January 5th, 2021

@Actuallynobody017

Hi! Do you mean that the definitions are confusing, if so could you explain how so I can make it easier to read?

Yes, I can definitely define what a hyperlink is and I will give a brief detail of how to do it but I think there is actually also going to be a post soon detailing making posts, adding pictures and adding hyperlinks! Thank you for your feedback it's greatly appreciated! heart There will also be a post on the roles as well so the definitions of the roles will have more detail in that post!

@bookworm27 thank you for your reply. Yes , I actually felt the definition for the roles starting from project agent confused me. I also feel that there aren't defined boundaries in each role. That means a listener can jump from on role to the other . That is why it sounds confusing. I hope you understand what I meant.

I am waiting for more links on how to post and on more detail definitions of the roles. You can even give examples to define each role. It would be better.

Happy New year 🎉

bookworm274 OP January 5th, 2021

@Actuallynobody017

I understand what you mean! I hadn't really thought of the order of the roles because in this post we aren't really discussing roles but just definitions of certain words but I do understand what you mean and will look into oragnising them more into a specific order! This is where your comment on the boundaries would come in I think (please let me know if I have misunderstood!), we will be discussing the requirements for roles and what roles there are in more detail in another post which is why we haven't put those in this post! So, when the post dedicated to explaining the roles comes out this will be a lot more clear hopefull!

I am also just about to add in what a hyperlink is by the way! Although I won't be explaining in detail how to do it as that will be in another post heart please let me know if there's anything I misunderstood or if there is any more feedback, it is super helpful!

@bookworm274

First of all ,I would like to say that your post was wonderful. I could see you have tried to define each term more or less perfectly. I think you did a great job.

I didn't have a complain about the definitions. I feel the roles and the ranks are such it can make any newbie feel that the roles don't have definite boundaries and one role can do the work of the other . You did your best in order to define them but I feel roles are not defined properly by 7 cups themselves. This is what only I think so.

I am looking forward to the post and I have subscribed too to the main post about the forum. Thanks for replying. Take care :-)

bookworm274 OP January 6th, 2021

@Actuallynobody017

Oh yes, I understand what you mean now sorry for that confusion! I think there are some roles that have some similarities but hopefully when the dedicated post for the roles comes out they will be more distinguishable!

I'm glad you like this project and this post, thank you for all of your feedback it is really helpful! Also I have added the definition of a hyperlink but it will be explained in a post that should be coming shortly heart

amiablePeace77 January 14th, 2021

@bookworm274

Awesome idea, thank you!

bookworm274 OP January 15th, 2021

@amiablePeace77

I'm glad you like it! I hope you enjoy the rest of the project!

amiablePeace77 January 19th, 2021

@bookworm274

thank you bookworm smiley

LilacKalypso9 January 26th, 2021

@bookworm274 A great idea, thank you😎

bookworm274 OP January 27th, 2021

@LilacKalypso9

I'm glad you like it!

greenYard2803 August 12th, 2021

@bookworm274 thank you