Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

The value of forum upvotes

Roadie June 11th, 2015

[Note: Originally posted in Listeners Only forums, but moved to general forum because this is relevant for all!]

There is something that I've notice about the forums while just observing and not actively participating.

If you're interested in supporting people, truly interested in supporting people, I ask you to try this one thing after reading this post. Go to one support forum thread and read someone's story. You don't need to reply but just read.

I think we can all recall times in our lives when we have been hurt, have been spurned, or have felt alone. Have been lost in our negative thoughts, seeking affirmation from others whether it be positive or whether it be negative.

Do you remember those times?

When I read the support forums, I see hundreds of posts made every day by members. And I see hundreds of threads created by those same members.

What are they after when they post?

Are they after a panacea, a magic bullet to cure all of their ills?

Can you think of a time when you've been there?

When you feel as though you're alone, hiding in the dark. Terrified from the
lack of light, all you are after is one spark to inspire. One spark to remind you that you are important. One spark to acknowledge that you're still worthy of someone's time and attention.

So when I see post after post after post unacknowledged, it makes me wonder. If I was them and I had shown the courage to spill my soul out onto the page for others and nobody had acknowledged that it had even been seen. How would I feel?

As a listener community, we give appreciation readily and openly to one another. Community shout outs to listeners are posted every day. Anonymous appreciation messages are sent daily, again to fellow listeners. Acknowledgement after acknowledgement of one another which is so kind and open however why can this not be shared with our members?

Let me just say this.

A man beaten down by society sits on the side of the road, soul destroyed. Watching person after person look away quickly to avoid his gaze. It makes you feel like less of a human being. A smile, an acknowledgement is worth more to that man than all of the gold that has been mined from this earth.

In the support forums, that acknowledgement is easy. It's called an upvote. A simple click of an upvote to show that someone has taken the time and care to read what they have posted.

Please, spend 30 seconds and make a difference to a member's life today because a forum upvote can be all that it takes.

professionalPerspective60 March 27th, 2018

@DaisyLion

Yes Daisy, I total agree with all you said. This thread is so important. Have a great day.

NovaturientSeedling March 29th, 2018

@Roadie

Thank you for writing this. You made my day!

CoffeeTeaAndHonesty June 11th, 2015

A hundred times yes!

I couldn't agree with you more@Roadie

Amelia June 11th, 2015

Well said @Roadie! Thanks so much for pointing these things out and for being so supportive of other listeners!! **hugs**

Roadie OP June 11th, 2015

Bumping

Lyra June 11th, 2015

Thank you for a much needed kick up the backside @Roadie :) I've just spent a little time upvoting, and I intend to do some proper responses later, when I have more time

Apple74 June 11th, 2015

I completely agree with this @Roadie. I have noticed a little loss in balance as far as public and listener forums go. This post not only reminds us about the true spirit of being a 7cupslistener it also highlights how a small gesture can make difference. Make it a personal goal to read a post by someone , to reply to someone's question in the member side. While we all are here cheering for one another...lets add some cheer and enthusiasm on member side too!!

MissKatherine July 1st, 2015

The love and support here in the listener's forums should definitely be spread to the members' side. I agree!

Upbeat June 11th, 2015

Your words come from the heart, but are spoken from the soul @Roadie

i always try to spend some time on the members forums, I alwayslove to support them with all my words and love.Couldn't be grateful enough for this beautiful thread.smiley

Laura June 11th, 2015

What a great thread & discussion.

You make an excellent point @roadie. We have many members posting every day and if we all can offer support, even by way of an upvote, that is very magical!

veluma June 11th, 2015

Thank you for sharing this observation, Roadie!As a new listener, I am still learning about the features of the site, and I wasn't aware of the situation in the member forums. It truly sounds upsetting when I try to imagine how invisible these people may feel... However, what would you say about threads that have a single message only, like, the introductions people post in the icebreakers forums? I feel it would be worth replying to them, putting our support into words to give a warmer welcome than by just upvoting. By the way, are all listeners welcome to participate in these member forums, or we have to sign up for a support team? I am sorry if it's already been discussed somewhere, I still have so much to learn, including how to navigate through the forum.

wonderfulMagic99 June 11th, 2015

Anyone with an account can post in the public forums :)

Alwaysdreamin June 11th, 2015

Thank you @Roadie for the idea. If we don't have time to respond at the moment, it only takes a click for an upvote and that might mean the world to a member. Great post. Thank you.

venttome88 June 11th, 2015

You know, I never considered upvotes from this perspective. It does give comfort to know that someone has read what you wrote and that they appreciated it. Upvotes all around!

wonderfulMagic99 June 12th, 2015

To go along with this (I'll throw this into the suggestion box too), I have seen forums where it's possible to select those where there's only the OP, no other posts or replies following. Is this something that could be implemented to make it easier for us to find the posts that have been overlooked?

Annie June 12th, 2015

Roadie, I completely agree! Sometimes I go through the original-poetrythread and make sure that no one has a lonely 0 upvotes next to his or her submission,.

If someone has the guts to post a personal work of art for all to see, I think they deserve at least one upvote--mine.

I try to post textresponses, too -- but when I'm pressed for time, I go from page to page reading poems and adding upvote, upvote, upvote. smiley

And other threads, too. When a listener has taken the time to write a thoughtful response, I don't like tosee0upvotes, so I'm there upvoting -- even if it maynot be the bestestmost super-awesomepost. It's a little appreciationcampaignI like to do (anonymous love-drops) -- a way of saying "thanks" tolisteners who take the time to peruse the thread and offer their ideas and experience. heart

Rock on, @Roadie!

Lilylistens June 12th, 2015

@Roadie Powerful thread you have created here. Thankyou for the time and effort you put into such a well articulated and mindfully shared post. I think that it is important to do as you have encouraged here, and I will definatley be an ongoing part of upvoting, and any other ways of supporting members and guests hereas you have so wonderfullyencouraged all of us Listeners to do. I will also continue to support my fellow Listeners here, as well, through the forums,chat rooms, etc. All people here at 7 Cups of Tea deserve to feel "seen", heard, suppported, and validated, as you so elequently pointed out here. Much thanks to you. Again, very powerful, and I appreciate this so much.

Roadie OP June 12th, 2015

Thank you to everyone who read this and took a something out of it. And thank you very much to @YourNewLight for your encouragement and advertising of this post. You have certainly paid it forward to the members by doing so. I really appreciate it!

Bianca0210 June 14th, 2015

Upvoting to support the cause!

Heather June 14th, 2015

I love this post @Roadie. *huge bump*

Lilylistens June 16th, 2015

Also a big fan of this post @Roadie *bump*

RaymondT June 17th, 2015

What a wonderful sentiment, Roadie. I'll get started right away!

Roadie OP June 27th, 2015

The reason behind this post hasn't changed in the past few weeks. Our members still need support in the forums. Unashamedly bumping.

Alwaysdreamin July 1st, 2015

Such a quick and simple thing we can do to make others feel heard. I love this idea. Let's all commit to up voting our member's posts as much as we can.

Lilylistens July 1st, 2015

thank you for the gentle reminder. Will do some upvotingnow

Reececup1986 July 2nd, 2015

I must say this is very well put and what a outstanding Thread that gets views and gives a way supported information to help......

Roadie OP July 3rd, 2015

Another idea which springs to mind relates to Community Shoutouts. If you see a member being supportive or positive in the support forums; or a member that is making good strides, perhaps you may wish to give them a shout-out via the forum thread below?

https://www.7cups.com/forum/QuestionsFeedbackIdeasFun_33/Funandrelaxation_91/SpreadtheLoveCommunityShoutOuts_4578/

Upbeat July 4th, 2015

Absolutely agreed, sir.There are so many beautiful souls out there. My heart goes out for them, theirmessages always bring a smile on my face. Like it says, "it's wonderful you can bring sparkle into people's lives without fading away from your own true colour. Keep the hue in you."

You are caring and compassionate and there is always something good to learn from your forum posts. Thank you for being you. @Roadie.

heartsNcupcakes July 16th, 2015

Truly enjoyed reading this post and 100% agree. Browing forums as we speak. <3

Alwaysdreamin July 16th, 2015

I may have said before but I love this thread. What a simple yet ingenious idea. This is so helpful to listeners and members. I love this idea and we can all do it. An upvote does make a difference. No one likes to be ignored. Thanks, @Roadie.

Anggi August 5th, 2015

This is such an important reminder! I will try to upvote member's post more often from now on :)

August 9th, 2015

You literally described what being empathetic really means in this post. Thank you, you're right and I'm glad that I came here and read this.

221Skye September 7th, 2015

I cannot tell you just how glad I am that I read this. I am scared of the forums (seems a bit like an introvert's nightmare sometimes), but then now that I've seen this, I feel like it's time I got over that. There are people here spilling their heart out and I want to make sure they feel acknowledged, understood, seen. Because like you said, we all know what it feels like to have eyes just gloss over you. Thank you so much for this, honestly. ❤️

Niknak003 September 10th, 2015

This is such a wonderful post and it is so true. All of us have been through that situation where we feel ignored, and as little as that gesture is it speaks a lot of volume and can really affect someone immensely. Thanks for this post. :)

Roadie OP September 30th, 2015

The importance of this message isn't lost as time passes by. Bumping up unashamedly.

Roadie OP October 16th, 2015

Bumping up

cristiana33 October 16th, 2015

Wow this thread is so old and I never saw it until now. Thank you @Roadie for still bumping this up as it surely helped me today.

I almost cried to your words having in my mind indeed some of my personal memories & also some of the stories I've read here in the forums. There are so many people writing here!!

I always try to do more than just upvoting their post. I try to post something positive and hope it made them feel a bit better. They indeed are not looking for a solution as many might have lost hope a long time ago, but just the fact they are here, sharing what they are sharing - no matter their tone - it means there is still light at the end of the tunnel.

Such a great post, Roadie! Thank you.

gracefulSong70 October 16th, 2015

That was a real care and compassion showing thread you made @roadie , despite the beautiful kind way of interpreting upvotes essence of cheering us , you actually made me want to upvote any reply I see here and all the forums I stride to :) so thank you for the awesome thread <3

October 16th, 2015

@Roadie

Think this is my favourite all time post (love love love it) and should always be bumped. Really important message for all.

Lilylistens October 17th, 2015

Bumping this up again