Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What does therapist actually do

Shinya March 30th, 2021

Hi, I'm considering getting therapy but I'm not sure what actually they do. I have a trust issue and I want to fix other problems too but I'm not sure if I should go to doctor or getting therapy. What's the difference between those two?

LisaMeighanMScGMBPsS March 30th, 2021

@Shinya

Therapy is the process of meeting with a therapist to resolve problematic behaviours, beliefs, feelings, relationship issues, and anything that is on your mind. It can be a great place to have a safe space to talk about the things that have been bothering you. Beginning therapy can be a big step toward being the healthiest version of yourself and living the best life that you can, no matter what challenges you're experiencing. It might feel daunting at first as even positive change can be really tough! Through therapy, you can change self-destructive behaviors and habits, resolve uncomfortable feelings and improve your relationships.

Your relationship with your therapist will be a close and trusting connection but sometimes it can take time to develop or you feel like it might not be a great fit between you and your therapist, it's important you find the right therapeutic fit. :) Please let us know if you have anymore questions!

It's entirely up to you the choice between a doctor or therapist. A doctor will work with you through symptoms and managing those with medication (if necessary and the right form of treatment for you) and a therapist will work with you through your thoughts, experiences and feelings to develop coping skills.

Want more personalized guidance? Check out my profile