Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

A Question for someone 70+

BrokenWingsThatFly August 28th, 2022

Hey there,

I was wondering, at the age of 70, what are some things that most people or perhaps you worry about?

I have a relative that is worried about declining in age and says that I can't possibly understand how that feels.

My take is that if you really look at it... worrying about a bad tomorrow, yes it may happen but one day you'll really want that good yesterday that you had.

Someone please let me if I'm wrong or just share your thoughts!

Thanks!

toughTiger6481 August 29th, 2022

@BrokenWingsThatFly

I am NOT 70 +

but people of all ages depending on their own situation or health worry about declining as they age.....IMO far too many put too much time into that and should focus on what they can do.....i live in an area with many people in their 70s and i walk with 2 ladies that are 78 ......being constantly active and not living in fear of what ifs make them far out shine those who are not active.

BrokenWingsThatFly OP September 1st, 2022

Thank you so much and I agree so much! Honestly life is just too short!

September 1st, 2022

@BrokenWingsThatFly You are right, your relative would probably be better off not worrying so much. On the other hand, your relative may be right that you can’t understand their worries. I am curious about how you framed your question and I’m not sure what you’re asking.

BrokenWingsThatFly OP September 7th, 2022

Hey, It was not at a relative per se. What I wanted to know is if age really matters with sympathizing with someone's feelings.

Groldingold September 7th, 2022

It's true. You can't possibly understand how it feels. Our natural resilience in life diminishes as we grow older and for me, it really hit me bad when I reached 65. I'm now 68. Everyday is a struggle for me to keep positive and look on the bright side. We lose our health, strength, mental capacities, you name it. They all go downhill.

But what's the alternative? Give in to the decline? That's why most old people have to learn to consciously fight back and be positive. It takes a lot more effort than I'm used to. The best thing you can do is to love them and tell them how much you appreciate them. That will do more good than any advice you can give, nor telling them to try to look at the bright side. Old people need to be told they are valued. That's what will keep them going.