Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Second guessing a surgery decision

jitterbugz7 January 21st

Took my 35yo son to the doctor for a bad sore on his toe thats gone bone deep. He's paralyzed and his circulation is bad. the surgeon gave two options, one is some surgery to try to save the toe, the other was just amputate the toe. Since hes in a wheelchair anyway and dont use his feet, and since a similar sore almost killed him before from turning into sepsis, my son said take it off. But I'm his medical power of attorney and had to approve the surgery. I said ok. but now I'm up at night worrying if it was the right decision. Wish the surgeon wouldn't give us a choice. Just do what he thinks professionally is best. Just getting that off my chest. Caregiving is hard. Getting older is hard too. I'm barely able to do what I used to. Is there a support group for caregivers on here?

AffyAvo January 21st

@jitterbugz7 Hi, there is https://www.7cups.com/forum/familyandcaregivers/SupportforCaregivers_309/

The community is Family and Caregivers and there's a topic within it for Support for Caregivers.

Were there any downsides to the surgery other than the recovery period? It can feel like a lot of responsibility to be the decision maker and it certainly seems that you acted in your son's best interests!