Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Emotional Over Reaction

littlePenguin7588 July 29th

I've been struggling with my emotions (not menapause) over being left out. A group of friends were invited on a boat and I was the only one not invited. Meanwhile, we were all hanging out and then everyone in the group left and it sent me into a tailspin and I had several bouts of crying. In fact, the rest of my day was completely ruined.

toughTiger6481 July 29th

@littlePenguin7588

I am sorry to hear that if you do not know why it is very frustrating.  Sometimes when we least expect it some thing like this can really send us on a downward spiral.  is there anyone in the group you trust to tell you why you were left out?   It will not change things but might clear up some confusion. 

littlePenguin7588 OP July 30th

@toughTiger6481 the problem is that in our group, I'm typically the one left out. Now I have to qualify this by saying it was all couples (and I'm a couple as well), but the boys don't get along with my husband as well as they do the rest, but they are still all friends. I just feel that if there is an option and only some many people can go, we are always the last. So, the reason is worst part, in that we get left out if space is an issue.

littlePenguin7588 OP July 30th

@toughTiger6481 and, ironically, this is my achilles heel, so the person least likely to be able to handle being left out, is the one that it affects the most. I really wish I didn't have such a negative reaction, but I just can't help it...it is in my brain (from bad childhood experiences). The thing is that this situational depression only happens when I'm left out of a group...wish I know what I could do to help eliminate these intense feelings.

mediterraneanSun July 31st

Hello @littlePenguin7588

Sorry to hear that happened to you. It's an awful feeling.

There are some treatments that could help lessen your reactions to certain experiences, and EMDR is quite an effective one.

Hope you're feeling better today. 💜

@littlePenguin7588 I am sorry you feel left out! I can understand how that feels because I have lost a lot of friends when I was diagnosed with my chronic illness because I could not do the things they are used to doing like going out and having a beer or going dancing! I was feeling left behind and like you it has thrown me into a big emotional tailspin that i am just now trying to figure out how to get out of!