Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Pandemic

Brightlight824 February 28th, 2021

Hi, how can I make my husband understand right now isnt a good time to get together with family during this pandemic? A few members of his family have had covid and they are still getting together. They dont get it. It makes me angry of how ignorant and selfish they are. We argue over this a lot. I just dont know what to do.

Inspiredcup February 28th, 2021

Hi Brightlight824, it's not easy not meeting up with family and loved ones even with the pandemic. It's a difficult time for all of us. You're right, it's not a good time really to get together yet. How about you both try a compromise where if family really need to meet up, then they do their very best to adhere to social distancing rules and wear face coverings.

Erewhon February 28th, 2021

Everyone has different levels of tolerance of how safe they feel during covid. It would be a respectful thing to have everyone tested before meeting. Unfortunately, you can't make people test against their will... There must be a few family member willing to get tested at least few days prior to meeting.. I hope you can find a compromise or solution!

Brightlight824 OP February 28th, 2021

Thank you Inspiredcup and Erewhon. It would be nice if they did follow social distancing and wear facemasks, but they dont. This is the reason why we stopped the visits. I work for an obgyn Dr. and I need to be careful.

SparkyGizmo February 28th, 2021

@Brightlight824

Hi my friend! smileyThank you for your post and I send you big *hugs* heart I must say, this does not sound like an easy position to be in for you! I just so happen to agree that the covid pandemic is a very very big problem and for many. I understand completely how this is truly a health and safety issue. I hear that you mentioned some of his family members have already contracted covid in the past but yet still seem unphased and don't see things as you do. For that, I am very sorry.

I read even farther down and see that you work in the medical field so of course you understand all of these implications.

Why do you feel that he is so resistant to listening to you and not taking your feelings into account? Is this something typical in your relationship where he does this type of thing often or is it him taking a stand on this particular topic? I have to wonder if this is only topic specific, then if he is being peer pressured/bullied by family members when he is on the phone with them while you aren't around? I'm not saying that he is but it's simply a question and a thought to consider.

Taking into account his past with his family could be something to think about because family dynamics can cause people to behave in ways that are atypical. I'm wondering if you would feel comfortable asking him this? If he is feeling peer pressured maybe you could help him through that?

Also, what were his ideas even before this recent extended family issue about the covid pandemic? Has he not felt the need to wear a mask, excercise social distancing and seems personally unphased by what is going on in the world? Does he have particular thoughts about the covid pandemic in general that you haven't agreed with prior?

I commend you for reaching out! I know sometimes it's hard to do and you are very brave to do so! I'm so glad you have 7 cups and you are not alone! You have so many of us here that are more than happy to be supportive of you while you are going through this. Once again, I send you big *hugs*heartangel

Brightlight824 OP March 6th, 2021

Thank you SparkyGizmo 😌

SparkyGizmo March 6th, 2021

@Brightlight824

You are most welcome! smileyheart