Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Portrayal of mental illness in media

Greenletters89 October 3rd, 2021

I just saw a new movie on Netflix. Its portrayal of mental illness on the surface was done right. They did not specify the mental illness ; the atonement for the violence committed by the person with mental illness was not suicide. However the impact of the portrayal is still people who have no exposure to mental illness dismissing us as violent and unpredictable. What is the solution here? People are not going to stop using mental illness as a convenient plot device. Do we demand that portrayal of mental illness should only occur if it is in the foreground exploring all its nuances? I have to answer to this. I just can’t help but be upset by this because this is a very successful movie ; I can’t help but feel despair and hopelessness.

VioletSpringGlade October 26th, 2021

@Greenletters89

Hi! Thanks for sharing, I think this is a very important topic.

Yes, mental illness can be a convenient plot device but it isn't doing humanity any favours, unless it is portrayed sensitively.

I liked Homeland where the main character has bipolar disorder, and it portrays both her challenges and successes in normal life. Well, normal according to the crazy plots - and in this respect yes manic episodes were magnified/dramatised to enhance the plot. But still, she was portrayed as a normal person holding down a successful high-level career and the sorts of family challenges many people experience.

Solution? We can write to film makers and script writers. Ask our mental health associations to lobby on our behalf. And talk about mental health challenges more to get rid of the stigma and stereotypes.