Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Unsure of what to do next…

overloverlay August 1st, 2023

I need advice on how to pick myself back up after losing everything I’ve ever loved. I am now starting over without anything or anyone and I need to find the motivation to try. I’ve made some decisions in my life that were selfish and I didn’t think that things would escalate and happen the way they did. I was ignoring the consequences and they just got worse. Now that I’ve lost it all, I haven’t had a day since that I’ve felt happy. I feel overwhelming guilt and anxiety every day and have torn myself down until I now hate myself and my appearance is almost unrecognizable. How do I motivate myself to get up and do things I need to do, and how do I learn to love myself again? I’m almost 22 and shouldn’t be so unhappy but I am….

hopefulPond6108 August 1st, 2023

@overloverlay Making mistakes, ignoring the consequences is a very human thing to do. Guilt is just a club to hit yourself over the head. Thought full of “should have”, “could have” are not your friends. When you notice your mind go there it’s best to stop and pay attention to the present. 22 is a great place to start over. Difficult, depressing at times, but what else you going to do? You got this!

Reesenotgeese August 1st, 2023

@overloverlay Hello! Making mistakes is human. I like to call it growing pains, as kids we felt these strange pains that we couldn't explain, and our parents would tell us "it just means you're growing" and low and behold here we are, all grown up. No one tells you the same when you're an adult, when you mess something up, say the wrong thing, mingle with the wrong people, etc. But these are still growing pains, the only difference is that no one tells you what it is. Growing pains suck, but they're a necessity. Without them we would never learn anything, we would still be scared little kids.

I'm not saying that whatever you did is okay, I'm saying that it's okay to make mistakes, even if they're big ones. Forgiving yourself is the first and hardest part, it's not an easy thing to do. But right now, what you need to do is look at the consequences, accept them and ask yourself "how can I start to make this right?" You won't be able to make it so nothing every happened, and that's okay. But you can start to make it up to the people you have hurt, and that's most likely all they want. You need to understand that you've made a mistake, that's the first step and you've already done it! Now accept it for what it is, and as you work towards making it better you will start to forgive yourself.

And if you can't work towards that just yet, apologise to them, let them know you're going to try your best to improve yourself, and give yourself time. Take time to find your feet again, take time to look after yourself. You might feel like you don't deserve it, but you do, even if you've made a mistake. Look after your mind, and your body, and soon you will have the means to fix your mistake.

I hope this helps x you will be okay