Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Family problems

Celestine22 July 24th

Hi everyone,

Not sure where to post this but I need some advice, some different perspectives on this situation.

I haven't talked to my family for about 2,5 years now. I am 23 years old, I didn't know how to deal with the problems at home back in the day. I felt restricted, I felt like my parents just wanted to decide everything for me and couldn't respect that I was ready to choose my own path in life. I ran away from home. 

I can now understand why they did what they did at that moment (police search team, going door to door at night until they found me, sending people after my then boyfriend and me to try to get me back home), and yes, they were right about my ex boyfriend, he was not the guy for me, he was not a good guy. 

My mom and I have been on chat for a while now, just once in a while checking in to see how the other is doing. Now, my mother asked me if I would be ok to meet up some time, in person, she wants to know why I decided to cut all contact with her. I just don't know how to have that conversation. She didn't do anything wrong, it was because of my stepdad back in the day... I felt like I had to protect myself from him, especially after I ran away and he sent people after my boyfriend and me. 

I just don't know what the next step might be, I'm really in panic mode the past couple days thinking about needing to have this conversation with her...

toughTiger6481 July 24th

@Celestine22

Sounds like you have grown and see things differently then when you left. IF you chose to reconnect with your mom or rest of family ... you do not go back to the dominated child role but you are grown... 

You are not obligated in any way  if the meeting does not go well.

You continue being on your own ... it may be helpful to give it a shot now when you have grown and can understand more of what went on back then.