Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Group Support Moderator Role

Heather December 1st, 2015

What is a Moderator?

All of our moderators are experienced, volunteer listeners who have undergone and successfully passed the required training. Each moderator is a verified listener and has maintained an excellent track record as a listener on 7 Cups. They work hard to keep the rooms a safe and supportive place for all guests and members. It's not always an easy job to do, and we appreciate them very much!

For clarification purposes, the information below covers what a moderator can and cannot do.

A moderator can:

Offer a warm, friendly welcome
Guide the chat in a helpful and supportive manner
Lead discussions and support sessions
Delete inappropriate comments
Issue warnings for rule violations
Mute users who continue to break rules

A moderator cannot:

Remove mutes from accounts
Scroll back over chat that took place before they entered the room
See which moderator muted you or the reason why
Respond to 1-1 PMs when busy moderating
Ban or close accounts.

Above all, moderators are here to help you. Please be kind and supportive to them at all times. If you have concerns about a moderator's conduct, do not raise the issue directly in the support room. You can report any concerns using the Group Support Review form. Don't forget, you can also use the review form to leave a positive review and let a mod know they're doing a great job! :)

amazingRainfall28 December 1st, 2015

Thank you for posting this, as all our wonderful moderators have such a tough role at times and deserve to be respected and supported.

When people are in pain it can be very tempting to try and take that out on others, and its the wonderful mods that have the hard task on trying to instill boundaries and diffuse situations so it can be safer , more enjoyable place for everyone.

My greatest appreciation goes out to all of the mods here and I truly do think you deserve alot of respect for the tough role you take on voluntarily in order to make things better for others.

Please if there are any mods reading this, please give yourself a pat on the back from me and try to do something kind for yourself as reward for being such a wonderful person, selflessly trying to help others and vastly benefiting this community which simply wouldn't function without all of you.

Thank you!!!

Heather OP December 1st, 2015

@amazingRainfall28 - Beautifully written :)

FouseyTube December 1st, 2015

See I'm always nice to the moderators, cause if i'm nice, they like me, and if they like me, i dont get muted.

SilentSerenityy December 1st, 2015

@FouseyTube

That's one way of putting it but that then makes the assumption that all moderators mute blindly because they dislike someone. You have to have three warnings to be muted too so any mod could be muting you for breaking rules. If you feel wrongly muted, you can contact administration and use the form to leave a review of the moderator.

FouseyTube December 1st, 2015

@SilentSerenityy Like I said, I'm always nice to the moderators, cause if i'm nice, they like me, and if they like me, i dont get muted.

Thank you so much for writing this Heather, it means a lot.

I think it's useful to mention that mutes are reviewed and moderators who are misusing their new responsibility are dealt with accordingly. Also a reminder that mods are humans (shocker!), they have feelings and insulting/attacking them does hurt and is never acceptable.

Treat everyone with respect, including mods.
Ace13 December 1st, 2015

Thanks for the clarification on this @Heather ! I hope it will help to clarify our role in the rooms for members :)

findingbalance95 December 1st, 2015

Thank you @heather for this post! No one deserves bad treatment, especially not mods! They go out of their way to help those in the group chats

Ej December 1st, 2015

Y'all beautiful.

Cheeney December 1st, 2015

I know there is a lot of hate and anger directed towards moderators in the rooms at times, so on behalf of all members on 7Cups I'd like to say: Thank you for all the work you put in!

CatPlum24 December 1st, 2015

Does deleting innapropriate comments also include deleting ones that are: hateful towards marginalized groups, racists, sexist/misogonist, or rude to other members?

I have a lot of questions

Lulu2015 December 1st, 2015

@Heather thank u for posting this. Generally, I think most mods are fair and do a job well done. I appreciate their presence and patience in the chat rooms.

it seems to be a thankless VOLUNTEER job so thank you mods for all u do!

@EJ no, you are :p

@crispRainfall91

It should be working. Which room did you click on?

Lalaxoxo December 2nd, 2015

We should all be proud of our moderators :) Nice post.

ShiningRose December 2nd, 2015

Thanks for this. I've been a moderator for a few days so I am still learning the ropes as I go on. I always spent a lot of time in the group support rooms as I wanted to build a good rapport with fellow users. In my few days as a mod this has shifted and I've already been met with hostility and have even been called names for simply doing my job. And you're right to say that it hurts because it does. I hope this post helps others realise that we are only human and we are just here to help the rooms remain a safe and supportive place.

SilentSerenityy December 7th, 2015

@Fear333

If you're not happy with a mod, please report them, don't generalise here.

This is not the place to ask for a mock chat either. Please find a mentor.

December 7th, 2015

@SilentSerenityy. I said some. So how is that generalizing? I don't appreciate your tone and attitude. You could have PM'd me. If they want to move my post the right people will do that. I have a right to express my opinion I'm not breaking any rules or attacking anyone personally. :-)

SilentSerenityy December 7th, 2015

@Fear333

Stating it here helps no one as mods have come here for some support due to negative comments about them, but I am not arguing with you. I simply directed you to where you needed to go. Have a good day!

December 7th, 2015

@SilentSerenityy. I didn't see you directing me anywhere. Perhaps you can help me? Send me a link or something? Have a nice day also. :-)

December 9th, 2015

@CatPlum24. What is? O_o

CatPlum24 December 9th, 2015

@Fear333

[edited by forum mentor for non-supportive content]

A moderator can:

✓ Offer a warm, friendly welcome - [edited by forum mentor for non-supportive content]
✓ Guide the chat in a helpful and supportive manner - [edited by forum mentor for non-supportive content]
✓ Lead discussions and support sessions - [edited by forum mentor for non-supportive content]
✓ Delete inappropriate comments - [edited by forum mentor for non-supportive content]
✓ Issue warnings for rule violations - [edited by forum mentor for non-supportive content]
✓ Mute users who continue to break rules - [edited by forum mentor for non-supportive content]

December 9th, 2015

@CatPlum24 lol, you got a good point. Well hopefully I see you in the chat rooms and we can talk about good stuff.

@Fear333

<3

December 9th, 2015

@RocketsMom. Actually you should tell that to that girl because I was offended and she has a bad attitude. But I'm not mad I even asked her for help. Plum has a lot of good points and I think his opinion and feelings should be valued. Please rocket mom I also told you to never have any interaction with me if you feel its an emergency. Please PM me. Thank you

@Fear333

Never challenge The Man

@RocketsMom

Youre the same "person" that invalidated my other posts right? Cheers for that

December 9th, 2015

@CatPlum24. I am the man :p

Laura December 9th, 2015

*Content edited by me*

Please carefully review our community guidelines for information about posting. Specifically, you can learn more about forum posting in item #4 & in this document.

Thank you!

SilentSerenityy December 9th, 2015

@Laura

Thank-you. :) <3

gregariousZebra21 February 14th, 2016

I am having trouble getting the moderator application to work. I dont know whats happening but it wont open it just keeps going back to the page with the link to the application on it.

February 22nd, 2016

Useful, thanks!

Ren June 28th, 2016

@Heather Thank you Heather, your work is brilliant and amazing, just like you heart

Kate February 5th, 2018

Bumping up this post.