Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I've been on disabiliity for depression for the past 7 years.

Oak4945 March 4th, 2015

I've been on disability for mostly depression and OCD for the past 7 years, since I was 24 years old. NowI am 31 years old.At age 24, I didn't work or volunteer at all. Age ages 25-27,I volunteered and went back to college part time to finish my degree. At age 27 I got a part time job (in my state of the US, I am allowed to make up to a low amount of money on disability). So I've been working from ages 27-31 at 2-3 minimum wage paying jobs. I just put in my 2 weeks notice to my minimum wage job because I can't take it anymore. My last day with that job is in about a week. I want to start volunteering somewhere.

So today I had an interview to volunteer with children at a day care center. The interview lasted 10 minutes. They asked me 3 questions. One of them was, why do you want to work here? I said because I wanted to gain experience with children to get a new job with children. I should have said I wanted to make a goo difference in the childrens'lives or something else.Then at the end of the interview, they said that they have enough volunteers and they are not taking anyone as of now.

I'm so sad. I can't even get a volunteering job.

hotwings87 March 7th, 2015

Please don't blame yourself. Interviews can be tricky. Sometimes they are looking for very specific answers to questions. I remember interviewing with a different set of people for the same type job within the same week. The first group didn't want me for a second interview so I changed my responses and the second group of people wanted me for a second interview.

As far as volunteering is concerned, have you considered volunteering at a public school? They often take volunteers. Also, the soup kitchens at homeless shelters could always use help. There are tons of volunteer opportunities out there. You just have to know where to look and who to speak to.

I hope you feel better soon.

Oak4945 OP March 9th, 2015

Thanks for the reply! I didn't think of volunteering at a public school. I will see if I can somewhere in my area. Thanks for the suggestion!

hotwings87 March 9th, 2015

Anytime! :-)

Best of luck to you.